Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, so I recently go this second hand 45x45x45 terrarium from a friend - I'm going to be housing 2 whites tree frogs in there and they will arrive on Friday. The compact 45cm hood came with it and I was told it was all working. I bought just a cheap 40W ES bulb to test it out but when turning it on it doesn't light up!? Is this because it only works with specific Exo-Terra bulbs? I'm really worried that the hood is suddenly not working and my lil frog buddies will have no light/UV!! I've ordered an Exo-Bulb but it won't arrive for another week. Can anyone confirm that this compact hood only works with Exo-Terra bulbs!?

·
Registered
248 Posts
The hood should work with any bulb that will fit into its socket.
To clarify, the hood will have a wattage rating...so any bulb that falls within the wattage rating AND fits in the hood should work fine. I assume this light fixture is a screw in type, so will fit any A19 base bulbs. You can use LED A19 bulbs if you want. Typically these aren't designed to use anything over 60 watts, but it should specific that on the fixture itself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To clarify, the hood will have a wattage rating...so any bulb that falls within the wattage rating AND fits in the hood should work fine. I assume this light fixture is a screw in type, so will fit any A19 base bulbs. You can use LED A19 bulbs if you want. Typically these aren't designed to use anything over 60 watts, but it should specific that on the fixture itself.

So it says on the bulb packet "470 LUMEN (6.0W Equivalent to) 40W". The Exo hood says not to exceed 26 WATTS. I assumed that it would get too hot if staying in there too long, I just screwed it in as it's the only ES bulb we have to test it. Do you think because it exceeds the 26 WATT limit it just won't turn on?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Thanks for clarifying. Electricity and I aren't good friends all the time

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No. The "equivalent to 40W" means that the amount of light output is equivalent to a 40W bulb. The bulb itself is only 6W

So it should deffo work then? I screw it in as far as it will go and press the on switch but nothing happens. I've tried the bulb in another lamp and it works so I know it isn't the bulb 😭

·
Registered
111 Posts
It could be a loose wire in the fitting or switch, and possibly a break in the wiring.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It could be a loose wire in the fitting or switch, and possibly a break in the wiring.
I just don’t understand, I took the thing apart and couldn’t see any loose or messed up wires at all, when I switch it on nothing happens! Here is a pic of the fixture and bulb I’m using if that helps

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you handy enough to attach another cable to the fitting?

There is nothing wrong with the lamp, you had already tested it elsewhere.
To be honest, not at all - do you think that would be it? It's definitely not a bulb-compatibility issue?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts