Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im new to the amphibian world, i have over 20 planted aquariums and been keeping fish for 15+years but have been wanting to get into amphibian keeping. I found this little guy getting attacked by ants and have been helping it get better and was curious what species it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,781 Posts
Knowing the collection location (state, county) would certainly help.

Getting into amphibian keeping is by far most successful if a person starts with healthy captive bred animals with known care requirements. Now that you have good photos of the toad, and have saved it from the ants (what will the ants eat now, though?) releasing it within tens of meters of where you found it would be the best course of action. :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sometimes, you gotta let Mother Nature do it’s thing. You’ve already gave the toad an extra life, so as SM said releasing it would be best👍
Now that your on here, though, you can get into the world of darts (Or other amphibians that interest you) Good luck!

·
Registered
E. Anthonyii Santa Isabels
247 Posts
Knowing the collection location (state, county) would certainly help.

Getting into amphibian keeping is by far most successful if a person starts with healthy captive bred animals with known care requirements. Now that you have good photos of the toad, and have saved it from the ants (what will the ants eat now, though?) releasing it within tens of meters of where you found it would be the best course of action. :)
I would guess Texas somewhere, from OP’s profile pic. Maybe just a common Texas toad, looks like? But yeah, it’s probably getting pretty stressed being handled like that, in any case.

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
Hopefully it was brief.

Even researchers can sometimes go too far. I know that toe clipping is in the repertoire of mark ID. The heat of the human hand and the frog self injuring per struggling actually more of a damage concern for the taggers than the toe loss. Expedient encounters a must.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts