Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, being a long time Dendroboard "lurker" (I love the look of vivs) I have a pretty good idea of how I want/what I need to go about this build, but I can't find any info on this tank. Its an Oceanic Systems Inc. 30x12x25 tank with doors on both side that looks to have had screen in them at one point and an 1 1/2 drilled hole in the back. Pretty good find for only $15 :D.

As far as the build for this tank I'm planing the standard eggcrate false bottom and a cork tile and epiweb background covered in plants (of course). One question I do have though is, this being my first "official" vivarium should I venture into the clay substrate world or go with something simple?

I also plan on purchasing my first Mistking system:cool:. My idea is to build this as if I were going to put frogs in it, now whether or not I do will be determined after the build is finished and grown in a little (leaving me plenty of time to do the proper research on the species most fit for my build).

Hope to hear some great ideas and criticisms:p from everyone. Thanks...

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Neat find especially for $15 I would kill for something like that its got quite the range of accessibility. Personally I would use that tank for a couple crested geckos for the hieght and ease of getting in everywhere. Does oceanic make a model like that or did the person customize it?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I love clay backrounds for a lot of reasons, but they a quite heavy. And that tank doesn't seem like it will be as solid structurally as a normal fish tank, so I would be very concerned about moving it once done. If it were a norml tank, I would say go for the clay. I think clay is pretty simple, and faster than gs for instance. Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm sure there lots of other lurkers ;) to have not join this amazing forum yet and Welcome to Dendroboard :D

Great tank, i would go with Great Stuff on this one for clay might be too heavy like mcaiger53 said. Can't wait when this tank gets started.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@singhm29 it looks to be factory made I picked it up at a thrift store and I didn't even think of cristies but thats something I will definitely look into it. I was thinking of maybe larger arboreal frogs.

thanks everyone I can't wait to get this started.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Very interesting tank... Love the way its made. I know what I would do with it. Would be a heck of a thumbnail display tank. I would toss a clay background on it.. some nice wood.. plant it up... some 30" T5s... and throw some varaderos or my variablis group in it.

·
Registered
987 Posts
If you are looking for something for the 1 1/2" hole, I have an extra 3/4" bulkhead kit that I am not going to use that would fit that. It is the bulkhead, strainer, and a 90deg tube out the back. If you want it, let me know and I'll mail it to you.

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
I forgot to tell you, I shipped the bulkhead on Monday, so you should have it probably tomorrow.
Have fun in the Keys, sounds like a great time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welp... it has been way to long but this afternoon I actually got started on this long over due project. I need another can of Great Stuff to finish foaming the background. The 3/4" bulkhead thanks to boombotty is going to be used to pump fog in from the humidifier. Sorry about the poor quality pictures (taken with my phone).

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Neat find especially for $15 I would kill for something like that its got quite the range of accessibility. Personally I would use that tank for a couple crested geckos for the hieght and ease of getting in everywhere. Does oceanic make a model like that or did the person customize it?
They were called an Oceanic Lizard Lounge, sadly they are not made anymore. I would also like one for my crested or chahoua geckos...

I like the wood you picked out Crucial.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
One little tip on something I would do different is with the screen over your humidifier coming in and the greatstuff around it. Eventually that screen is going to get clogged with debris(frog poop, leaf litter, plan roots, flies, etc) Also if it ever tears you're gonna have a hard time replacing it with all the great stuff around it. I did a simlar thing but used a black zip tie to secure the screen to the pvc. I can easily remove and replace the screen and it is plenty secure so the frogs can't dislodge it and end up in the humidifier.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Small update: all the foaming, craving and hardscaping is finished. ZookeeperDoug thanks for the heads-up on the output for my fogger. I went ahead and took the suction screen from the bulkhead put some screen mesh inside it then put it into the pvc elbow and GSed all around it leaving a 1/2 inch opening toward the side and back so you can't see it... also I included a picture of some weird fungus that has taken over the piece of wood in a little 10g I put together for my grandmother about 8 months ago. Does anyone know anything about this fungus it doesn't seem to be harming anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey everyone I know it was been FOREVER :p but I have a little update.I have completed the side-opening doors and have gotten far enough to start planting... this WILL happen tomorrow :D. Hopefully the updates will continue a bit more frequently just as long as life decides to stay out of the way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts