Dendroboard banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into buying 4 terrariums for my first poison dart setups.

I plan on housing a breeding pair in each tank. Not sure on species yet.

I am wondering if the 12x12x18 zoomed or exo terra tanks are acceptable or if I should opt for the 18x18x24 tanks. Thanks

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
My advice to you is to first decide on which type of frogs you would like to own. After you have made that decision, research those particular frogs and see what size tank will be of the most benefit to them, then buy accordingly.....and keep in mind, BIGGER is always better!

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
12x12x18 will work good for breeding thumbs. But are way to small for a breeding pair of larger frogs. 18x18x24 are great sizes. I use those sizes and 18x18x18's for either pairs of tincs, or small groups of galacts, leucs, terribilis, ect. Like tincs should only be kept in pairs due to aggression, but any of the others I listed usually do well in groups.

·
Registered
379 Posts
12x12x18 will work good for breeding thumbs. But are way to small for a breeding pair of larger frogs. 18x18x24 are great sizes. I use those sizes and 18x18x18's for either pairs of tincs, or small groups of galacts, leucs, terribilis, ect. Like tincs should only be kept in pairs due to aggression, but any of the others I listed usually do well in groups.
This is great advice. Your best bet is to figure out what frogs you want and build the vivs according to their needs. Again, 12x12x18 would work for thumbs, but not a pair of tincs.

-Chris

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are some breeds you would recommend for a 12x12x18?

Some breeds for 18x18x18 or 18x18x24?

Thanks a lot I am trying to have terrariums set up this week so I can pick up some pairs on frog day.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
^^Agreed here too. For example, the various types of imitators like a lot of vertical space. My imitator intermedius are rarely on the ground except to forage for food. Most pumilio will spend more time on the ground, but still need vertical space because the males like high prominent locations to call from and they like to deposit their tads higher up. Many of the larger dart frog species will spend most of their time on the ground, but they still need climbing space.

In the first case you'd want something taller than it is wide or deep. In the latter case, you'd want something shaped more like a traditional aquarium, with more floor space for its volume. For pumilio, it can be somewhere in between, but a lot of pumilio do better with larger vivs than you would think is necessary. The smallest viv I use is a 20-gal high, which houses a pair of pumilio. Most of my vivs are 29-gal longs for pairs of Tincs or Auratus, or trios of pumilio.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd go with all front opening vivs, so the Exos are a good choice. However, I often hear people say that they wish they'd gotten a larger viv and rarely hear folks saying they wish the viv was smaller. So, spending a little extra on the larger sizes would be a good investment IMO.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
12x12x18- any kind of thumb. Look at the ranitomeya species, and pick which you like the best.

18x18x18- ANY pair of frog. You can still go small, with thumbs and pumilio, or you can go with bigger frogs. Tincs, terribilis, galact, leuc, ect.

Really you should pick what frog you like best. Do some time, and search around for what you like best. Then once you find a kind of frog you like, we can then tell you what size tank to get, plants, anything else you might have questions on.

·
Registered
684 Posts
My only issue with the 12x12x18 for a frogger just getting into the hobby and doing a thumbnail species is that one hop and they are out of the tank. I think starting off with a 18x18x24 would be much better and you would have alot more space to design. Also doing this you could possibly do a trio or a group of 4 froglets and grow them up. For the Tincs the extra height on the 18x18x24 might go to waste unless you have ledges. And you would be better suited doing a 18x18x18 cube or their 24x18x18. Just an opinion. I keep my tinc pairs in 10-20 gal tanks, my thumbnail pairs are in 18 gal talls, my pumilio are in the 18x18x24s, and i have a few froglets in a 12x12x18 and i want to move them to a 18 tall.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Are the differences in sizes height or length? certain species are more arboreal (living in trees) than others, as some prefer to stay on the ground more. but lets be honest were talking about inches when it comes to vivs not feet high etc so i would just advise buying the biggest tank you can afford. your placing an animal in there for the rest of its life. if you had to live somewhere but could never leave would it be a flat or a mansion? thats how i see it anyway lol if you do go for a more arboreal species make sure they can utilise that height aswell. by creating a background with coco panels/xaxim/foam/plants/ etc or creating levels in there, otherwise the height is of no advantage. A bigger viv will also give you more options when creating the "jungle" look as you can place more items in there like plants/huts/seed pods etc without it looking cramped or as soon as your plants grow in having to take them out as there too big etc. Also remember once a background is added the floor space is less. just a few tips that might help.....ross

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help so far. Seems like everybody on this website will be a lot of help to me.

I am looking to have a clean looking frog room with all the same sized tanks so I am leaning towards the 18x18x24 tanks, I was hoping I could get away with 12x12x18 due to price but I want my frogs to be happy and hopefully start breeding. I plan to keep only two in each tank.

I would like to start my room with 4 of these tanks next to each other with a 72" light fixture and a mistking setup.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Thats sounds good, Also when in doubt the search button is very helpful on this forum, Plenty of past questions and builds/ care sheets etc that will defiantly help.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Found a really good deal on the zoo med 18x18x18 tanks. I can get them for $75 each.

Does everyone agree that these are sufficient for a pair of darts regardless of species? (since I am unsure of which species I will be purchasing as of now)

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
If you're only looking at pairs (or even trios of pumilio or thumbnails), that should work great. When you design the interiors, just try to leave plenty of floor space (or add shelves) for the larger species (tincs, auratus, leucs, etc.) and go vertical for the thumbs and pumilio, but I'd leave a little more floor space for the pumilio than you might for the thumbs.

There are literally hundreds of build threads for every imagineable kind of viv. I've even seen some where folks have lined up several Exo-Terras side by side and have a common theme that looks like one continuous viv. This could be done even if you are trying to manage floor space versus vertical features for different species.

Sounds like a fun project. Good luck.

Found a really good deal on the zoo med 18x18x18 tanks. I can get them for $75 each.

Does everyone agree that these are sufficient for a pair of darts regardless of species? (since I am unsure of which species I will be purchasing as of now)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can anyone point me in the right direction to find info on all the different species of darts? I've been looking but I haven't found a solid website for all info on species/requirements. Thanks

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Here are a couple of links to care sheets provided by some folks who sell dart frogs and supplies.

From Saurian Enterprises: Saurian Enterprises, Inc :: General Frog Information
From Josh's Frogs: Josh’s Frogs How-To Guides » Welcome to Josh’s Frogs How-To Guides

This is also an interesting site that shows photographs of the different Tinc, Auratus, and Pumilio morphs and tells you something about where they are from.

www.tropical-experience.nl

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find info on all the different species of darts? I've been looking but I haven't found a solid website for all info on species/requirements. Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.