Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered a medium-tall exo-terra for my first build and was wondering if anyone knew any threads or had any instructions (I'm very visual so any diagrams would be of HUGE help) that would guide me on building a stand for it. I wanted to build one that would allow me to drill a hole in the bottom of the terrarium to drain out the excess water because I don't plan on creating a false bottom, but want proper drainage (and figured this would be easier than siphoning).

In other words, I want to build a stand with cabinet doors that I can open and have the drain system in the cabinet. The top of the stand would not be a solid surface, but would dip in and the bottom of the vivarium would be exposed to the inside of the stand where the drain tube would drain into a bucket that could be emptied.... if that makes sense.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I suppose I basically want to do what this gentleman is doing in the video, but keep those posts that he's drilling into the top and bottom frames about an inch shorter so the bottom of the tank would rest on them.

HOW TO: Build an Aquarium Stand - YouTube

It's a nice video but basically just shows him constructing the stand and doesn't give any directions or measurements. I'm sure I might be able to figure it out on my own, but I'm nervous about wasting time and money if I mess it up.

Any advice on what kind of wood to use? I heard that exo-terras are heavy, plus the driftwood and everything in the tank. I don't want it to collapse one day because I skipped a step I didn't know about, hence why I'm asking something that most people who post on this site probably figure out on their own.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both very much!! I can play with the dimensions from the dropbox link and build it with the instructions from the youtube video! I truly appreciate the way people go out of their way to help each other on this site. It's a wonderful thing!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts