Dendroboard banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
I would only put 3 froglets in that particular container for transport. Or some very temporary reason.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Static air, organic buildup, most probably an excess of co2 and a small container that can heat up incredibly fast when standing in bright light.
Decomposition in this type of environment can turn the frogs into liqiud goo in 24 hours, easily.
The temperature thing, however is important.

Where did you place the container? And what were the temps in your house during that time?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I can't get pictures. There was no aggression and they were thriving until today. The only thing I can think of is that I rinsed half of the sphagnum and added a few additional leaves for leaf litter.
I'm thinking this might be important. How did you rinse the sphag? Do you have city water?

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think we know what happened here. Under the instruction of Josh's, he kept his frogs in an oversized deli cup with little-to-no ventilation and more than likely without any springtails. The sphagnum had to be oversaturated and littered with 2-3 months of feces. More than likely they died from a build-up of CO2 or methane. Either way they probably asphyxiated. Although with those conditions we could never rule out some kind of bacterial infection.

I hope the OP doesn't get discouraged. Research the threads here (especially the pinned threads in the beginner section), prepare a proper enclosure and try again.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I think we know what happened here. Under the instruction of Josh's, he kept his frogs in an oversized deli cup with little-to-no ventilation [...]
I've seen the video wherein Josh's Frogs recommend raising froglets in those containers.

I see the logic behind starting a tiny froglet in something like that size-wise, but the obvious issues are ventilation and duration -- those containers are totally inappropriate for anything but extremely short term, transitory use. Personally I think they're next to useless as the cons outweigh the pros.

A lot of Internet sources promote outdated information (inadequate ventilation, too much moisture, the ubiquitous and useless promotion of sphagnum moss) or incomplete information -- e.g. duration.

Internet sources that have gained a lot of traction due to volume in the case of some vendors, inexperienced audience, etc. are the perennial problem. New keepers have no obvious way to vet them.

There are things an experienced keeper would intuit or otherwise pick up that someone brand new will not. At which point do you stop blaming the advice and put some responsibility on the new keeper for due diligence in sifting through all the information out there? I don't actually know, it's a bit of a complicated question.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've seen the video wherein Josh's Frogs recommend raising froglets in those containers.

I see the logic behind starting a tiny froglet in something like that size-wise, but the obvious issues are ventilation and duration -- those containers are totally inappropriate for anything but extremely short term, transitory use. Personally I think they're next to useless as the cons outweigh the pros.
Yes they're completely worthless for keeping a froglet in for any length of time. First the lids are hard to pull off and extremely loud. You're scaring the crap out of the frog every time you feed them. I honestly don't know why you'd use them at all. A 16oz deli cup is perfect for any kind of transport.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Did sunlight hit the container for any amount of time? Did it get to hot or cold?

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
There is no need to leave frogs in small grow out containers that become soiled.

There is a very simple technique to change the frogs out into identical, fresh housing.

I realize they are fast but there are ways of working with that too. As keepers we need skills. The only way to develop them is step over the comfort line.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've used the 128oz container a few times, but as many have already said, it was for a short period of time and because my 10 gallon growout already had bigger froglets in it and I didn't want the fresh morphs fighting for food. Soon as they catch up in size they're moved to the 10 gallon. Recently had two tinc froglets in it for a month and in just that short period it can get quite soiled.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've used the 128oz container a few times, but as many have already said, it was for a short period of time and because my 10 gallon growout already had bigger froglets in it and I didn't want the fresh morphs fighting for food. Soon as they catch up in size they're moved to the 10 gallon. Recently had two tinc froglets in it for a month and in just that short period it can get quite soiled.
Sterlite bins are just so much easier to get in and out of and to add ventilation to. Plus when you factor shipping I'm willing to bet you're not paying that much more.

Edit: Yeah. Josh's charges $5 for those things so I'm doubling down on this.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Static air, organic buildup, most probably an excess of co2 and a small container that can heat up incredibly fast when standing in bright light.
Decomposition in this type of environment can turn the frogs into liqiud goo in 24 hours, easily.
The temperature thing, however is important.

Where did you place the container? And what were the temps in your house during that time?
I think we have lost the required evidence that would allow us to say for sure what happened.. but I do agree that overheating seems likely.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Sterlite bins are just so much easier to get in and out of and to add ventilation to. Plus when you factor shipping I'm willing to bet you're not paying that much more.

Edit: Yeah. Josh's charges $5 for those things so I'm doubling down on this.
Oh for sure a lot easier to get in and out of. Like I said, I don't use very often and I didn't order online. The one I have I got at an expo :)

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
An influx of fresh air and moisture in that closed container with old substrate could also trigger composting. Then heat and CO2 outgassing would be the culprit, as in many of the other scenarios. Compost can run to 160° F rather quickly, even faster if it goes suddenly anaerobic (O2 starved). Don't give up and learn not to take Josh's videos too seriously.

·
Registered
391 Posts
My bet would be on chemical contamination of the leaves OP said they added. I really can't see this being co2 buildup.

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Waste gases, sulfides, co2, ammonia. I dont think any new little lungs should be breathing. And i do think a compost dynamic could occur.

It doesnt have to be that way. The above posts per the vid things have a really good point.

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
The thing that gets me is how much humans are unaware of the awareness a subject has of the confines of a container. And of all the internals therein they contact, and experience.

Size doesnt matter. Breadth of 'transport' of even tiny guys matters more than size.

Stagnant air matters. Its more harmful to flourish than "relative humidity" readings. They are next to useless.

Contact moisture, juuuust right. There is no need to stricture exchange.

I know there is a difference in outcome.

I edited this. The locomotive comment was unclear and ugh.

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
The OP shouldnt feel bad about this.

Heres the Thing: Sellers know that the more inexpensive and easy peesy the environment is, the easier it is to sell more [insert almost any animal here]

It got to the point where I didnt sell any animals at all, they were like 'models' or ambassadors for the environments and the stuff in the environments for the guys and supporting the operation of env.

People would have problems or just admit losing interest, in an animal they have had awhile until they got turned on to The Environment.

Sellers underestimate people wanting to do right by animals.

But you wont really make any money, not like the one shot multi mass sales, or encouraging people who get bored with what they have so they just keep getting more and putting them in uninspired situ. I hope this doesnt sound like a rant. I do come off ugh sometimes but I dont think the OP is responsible, of course they are going to trust the vendor.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts