Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
randy from missouri
im into terrariums, paludariums, plants inside glass things.
20 long tank. with green onions, aloe vera, peppermint and cilantro.

i got a lot of questions about bioactive substrates

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Miracle Gro VS isopods and springtails

Hi, I didn't quite see any posts like this anywhere.
I started cultivating plants in an old tank, green onions, peppermint, aloe, cilantro.... I heard the benefits of a bioactive substrate and threw some isos n springos in there.

I have MiracleGro peat moss and organic soil with worm castings.
Anyone have experience with fertilized soils for a bioactive substrate?

on another note, do i feed my backup isopod culture raw potatoes or baked potatoes :)
all feedback is good feedback

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Hello, Randy. You probably won't find a lot of information on growing food crops (however small) here on DB, since this is a poison dart frog forum. Of course, this place is a great resource for growing plants in tanks, but the focus of that is mainly tropical species, not onions and herbs. You may be barking up the wrong tree, but I'll offer a few thoughts anyway.

You can use the search function to do some digging about substrates and the keeping of isopods and springtails. There are some great threads on culturing those animals that you will find very helpful. I think they're under the Food and Feeding subforum, but I would have to look again to be sure. Oh, yes. Here is a link to some great threads that should help you.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/food-feeding/157354-popular-helpful-food-feeding-threads.html

As for fertilizer, I'm a little puzzled that you chose organic soil, but mixed it with MiracleGro peat. I won't comment on how that might affect your isopods or springtails, but I will mention that you're going to have to change your tank substrate periodically, or you will end up with a buildup of salts and other minerals over time. You don't mention whether you have a drainage layer. If you don't, you will have no way of gradually reducing the fertilizer concentration in your substrate other than replacing the soil.

Most people here are not using much (if any) fertilizer in their tanks, as far as I can tell. Some people add small amounts in very dilute drops to particular plants, like miniature orchids, but most people are trying to keep that to a minimum for the sake of their frogs. Anyway, I hope you find some useful things here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you so much very constructive response

i do have a drainage layer and im trying my best at a dual purpose tank, tropical terrarium with some kind of benefit from it other than decoration

I recently got motivated enough to re do my substrate, 2 part coco husk 1 part shagnum moss and 2 parts peat moss (no miraclegro)

threw some leaf litter and a small branch with moss from the woods in there and my critters are happy.

im housing venus flytraps in the corner right now and most of the tank is still for harvesting...

i might end up with a small animal in there something that wont bother the venus fly traps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts