Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and nice forums :)

I wanted to introduce myself before I jumped on the posting train heh. My name is Brad and i'm 19 from Louisville KY. Every since I was a little kid I have loved animals of all sorts. It all started when I was thirteen when I bought me a 10gal and some mice. After they bred a bit I wanted something bigger and better so I bought me some hamsters and soon after acquired a preg female guinea pig that gave birth to 2 babies.

After the rodent addiction passed I moved on to fish tanks which I am still currently into. I have a 10gal live planted aquarium that has over 1,000 invested in it. I went all out with that project but I am very pleased with the results and I plan to enter it in the next AGA Aquascaping Contest.

Next came my first amphibians which were a tiger salamander and a pair of fire belly toads. I still have my salamander after 2 years but I traded my toads during a move. I've always wanted snakes but my mom never let me have them but finally I now house over 14 snakes and breed 4 different species. Mostly colubrids but I also have some pythons and boas that really spice up any collection.

Guess where I am now with my addicting hobby personality. Dart frogs is next on my list and as always I have read all I can read in just a few days and already have 11 sites in my favs pertaining to darts and will be ordering my first terrarium kit from black jungle. The natrual beauty of terrariums and planted fish aquariums is just so peaceful. There is something about having a part of the *jungle* in your bedroom. That is just amazing to me and same for fish tanks with live plants.

I plan to stay in this side of the hobby for a real long time and maybe one day breed and help to conserve the darts natrual environment by anyway I can.

Nice forums and i'm glad I have some help from you people for my questions to come :p

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dane, you've never had an aquarium have you? If it's a freshwater planted tank, you can easily spend that. Lighting, CO2 systems, controllers, undergravel heaters, flourite, plants... shall I go on. :D Brad, post some pics.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Brad,

If you are in Louisville you should come over to the Shelbyville, Ky show tomorrow morning. We (froglady and I) set up there every month and will be able to answer any and all (or at least most) of your questions.

We carry all the supplies you will need to build your aquarium too. Our phone number is on our web site if you want to give us a call. We will be leaving for the show tomorrow morning.

The link to the show is http://www.kentuckyreptileexpo.com/.

If you are looking for another addictive hobby then this is the one for you!

Melis

Brad said:
Hello and nice forums :)

I wanted to introduce myself before I jumped on the posting train heh. My name is Brad and i'm 19 from Louisville KY. Every since I was a little kid I have loved animals of all sorts. It all started when I was thirteen when I bought me a 10gal and some mice. After they bred a bit I wanted something bigger and better so I bought me some hamsters and soon after acquired a preg female guinea pig that gave birth to 2 babies.

After the rodent addiction passed I moved on to fish tanks which I am still currently into. I have a 10gal live planted aquarium that has over 1,000 invested in it. I went all out with that project but I am very pleased with the results and I plan to enter it in the next AGA Aquascaping Contest.

Next came my first amphibians which were a tiger salamander and a pair of fire belly toads. I still have my salamander after 2 years but I traded my toads during a move. I've always wanted snakes but my mom never let me have them but finally I now house over 14 snakes and breed 4 different species. Mostly colubrids but I also have some pythons and boas that really spice up any collection.

Guess where I am now with my addicting hobby personality. Dart frogs is next on my list and as always I have read all I can read in just a few days and already have 11 sites in my favs pertaining to darts and will be ordering my first terrarium kit from black jungle. The natrual beauty of terrariums and planted fish aquariums is just so peaceful. There is something about having a part of the *jungle* in your bedroom. That is just amazing to me and same for fish tanks with live plants.

I plan to stay in this side of the hobby for a real long time and maybe one day breed and help to conserve the darts natrual environment by anyway I can.

Nice forums and i'm glad I have some help from you people for my questions to come :p

·
Super Moderator
3,561 Posts
I have had planted fw tanks before, but they were larger than 10g, and I spent nowhere near a grand on them. I must just not be up on pricing of the more advanced aquarium systems. I've heard of small reef tanks costing $1000 and up, but I had trouble relating for a freshwater tank that small. Pics would be nice.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dane said:
I have had planted fw tanks before, but they were larger than 10g, and I spent nowhere near a grand on them. I must just not be up on pricing of the more advanced aquarium systems. I've heard of small reef tanks costing $1000 and up, but I had trouble relating for a freshwater tank that small. Pics would be nice.

hahaha...my PASSION is fish and fish tanks. I too have never seen a grand spent on a 10g aquarium! I guess this depends on how long it has been set up as well? Maybe it has awesome lighting with a nice stand and canopy?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is surpising how fast you can spend $1000 on coral alone.

Rich

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeh , I should have cut and pasted, I was making reference to the reef mention.

Rich

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You've never seen some of the award winning planted freshwater tanks? This one won first place in 2003.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You cannot spend a grand on a 10 gallon freshwater planted tank, there simply isn't enough space to put that kind of money into something like that. I have a planted 7 bow with all the works, and it came out to about $300. LOL it would even be a challenge to spend that much on a 10 gal reef...my friend set one up w/ custom canopy (about 5 wpg), live sand, prizm protein skimmer, timers, filter, heater, etc., and he had acro's, hynophora, mont's-well, lets just say he had alot of stuff. his tank came out to about $600 w/ everything included. I think Brad was just exagerating. Anyway, welcome to the board Brad!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Brad, welcome to the forum. I couldn't care less if you spent $1000 on the 10 gallon, all that matters is that you're interested in dart frogs and got your priorities straight finally.... welcome.
j

(that was in kidding, just so you don't think I'm too insensitive).

(Edited for too-early-in-the-morning typo)

·
Registered
720 Posts
Some planted aquarium enthusiasts are more concerned with plants than fish, often the fish are an afterthought. I used to be a huge fish junkie and I had as many as 12 aquariums fresh and saltwater going at once. It helped that I worked at a huge aquarium store and got fish and supplies at cost or largely discounted. But I would often spend entire paychecks on my fish. I would still have them except for the fact I can't find what I want here in Kentucky. I like really hard to find oddball stuff like Altum Angelfish and Dwarf Cichlids. Plus I keep moving and moving fish tanks is a pain in the A$$.

BTW, welcome Brad, I am another Kentucky dart/fish enthusiast. I live in Lexington and go to UK. Buy your frogs from Sarah and Melissa, they are great, and have quality frogs.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Melissa I will be at the reptile expo when im ready to buy :) I come every now and than but right now I just dont have the money together to buy everything I would need. Did you sell to Michelle and Donnie by any chance? I wont buy from blackjungle if you carry everything i'll need for my terrarium. What about the live plants, do you have them as well :p

As for the 10gal and $1,000 let me explain:

Presurized CO2 System for plant growth - $200
Flourite substrate and ferts - $100
36watt Power compact for a total of 3.6wpg - $80
12 Cardinal Tetras at $3 a peice - $35
Fluval 102 Canister Filter - $45
Plants from aquariumplant.com - $70 overnight is $25 so...

Then u have to add up algae eating shrimp, aquarium heater, background, dechlorinator, aquarium stand, new bulbs yearly, filter media and all the little things that seem to add up to A LOT

This is not your regular aquairum that you may have at your house lol this is a deep hobby that is pretty much unknown in the states as of now.
Heres a link to last years contest tanks: http://www.aquabotanic.com/contest2004/contest2004.htm I'll have pics sometime next week when i get a new digi.

Anyways, Thanks for the welcome and sorry the topic was turned more at my planted aqurium. I shouldnt have even said the price of the 10gal planted but I wanted to show that when I get into a hobby I read and learn all I can and try to supply the best that money can pay for to assure my animals live happy and so that my projects I take on will come out how I want them.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hey Melissa I will be at the reptile expo when im ready to buy I come every now and than but right now I just dont have the money together to buy everything I would need. Did you sell to Michelle and Donnie by any chance? I wont buy from blackjungle if you carry everything i'll need for my terrarium. What about the live plants, do you have them as well

Hey Brad,

I'm the other half of Quality Captives. Yes their frogs are from us. We have most everything you need for your terrarium. We don't bring plants to the KY show every month (had some this month) so it's best to contact us before the show and let us know what you want us to bring.

Come to the show even if you don't have the money yet. We love to chat with new people and might be able to give you some neat ideas. Plus it's nice to see new faces. You don't have to buy a thing.

BTW -- the guys at Black Jungle are really nice and they have some really nice stuff.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Thanks,

I will try to make it up their to next months show :D. I sent you an email as well with a few questions. Glad to have some help from someone local who knows what they are talking about heh :)

I just noticed lol but did you just answer my questions from the email in your last post :p Silly me haha :lol:

~ Brad

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We have most everything you need for your terrarium. We don't bring plants to the KY show every month (had some this month) so it's best to contact us before the show and let us know what you want us to bring.

You mean, there is a reptile show every month in KY?!
awesome...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts