Dendroboard banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all,
Just wanted to say hello and give the heads up that I may be looking for guidance on the near future...
I have been keeping exotics for many years, including different species of amphibians but never darts. This has changed in a big way this week. I have inherited 11 planted exo terra with a smattering of different species of frogs, most of which I am confident I have the correct ID for but I may be looking for confirmation! Brazil nut?
Insect Arthropod Organism Terrestrial plant Plant

I have fruitflies currently and will be culturing more going forward. I am looking forward to learning from you guys! Cheers

·
Registered
90 Posts
Congrats. The pictured frog certainly looks like Adelphobates castaneoticus. I have no experience with this species however, so it's just a guess. Very cool looking frog, not something you see very often.

·
Administrator
5,116 Posts
Congrats. The pictured frog certainly looks like Adelphobates castaneoticus. I have no experience with this species however, so it's just a guess. Very cool looking frog, not something you see very often.
I'm not familiar with the species either, but your ID seems correct. The reason it is not seen here often is that it has never been legally exported for commercial use from Brazil, and as such is illegal to own in the US.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Uh oh, illegal frogs! I'm in the UK so I guess it is technically the same here too if they have never legally been exported? I have to say whilst not being the most colourful and being somewhat on the small side I think they are my favourites so far! If they did breed would there much interest in the young would you think? Also, I have a lone azureus in a huge planted tank, I feel bad for him (her) being all alone. Is it possible to introduce new frogs or would it not be straightforward? I have rad that they can be territorial

·
Administrator
5,116 Posts
If they did breed would there much interest in the young would you think?
I don't know, but since DB doesn't condone keeping animals of smuggled origin, the question isn't one we're going to pursue here. Hopefully this is both clear and friendly, as it was intended. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts