Dendroboard banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,677 Posts
but after you get things dialed in, the numbers won't make any difference
This. I measured humidity in my frog vivs one time, just to support a point here, and haven't since. The frogs and plants are better judges and indicators of viv moisture than any meter.

Reactions: cmid02

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
OK, one vote in favor. :)

I have been thinking a bit about this since I wrote it, and I'm torn. It seems it would be useful to have info all in one place. One disadvantage is that some folks will read this care sheet and think they are done collecting relevant info, which is very not true.
Fair point. If I might add a counter point: many people are just lazy and aren’t as studious as they should be when caring for life. So by providing at least some general information, those people will obtain a far better education than if they had to search hours for through many different links. The rabbit hole of links can be for fine tuning a habitat ie the special ingredients in your cookies. But if we are saying dart frogs should never be kept in soggy conditions that happen with a moss substrate, for a single example, then this would be immensely helpful to find with other advisements in one place and should be advertised in a prominent place for all viewers not just the few who respect life more than others; especially if there is widespread -information out there.
Just my opinion however. But I do see your point. Unfortunately I don’t think you will change those lazy keepers by “making” them search harder... I’m afraid only the animals will suffer the burden of such negligence.
40% seems low to be shooting for other than over brief periods. 60% to 80% is what you should be shooting for most of the time, but after you get things dialed in, the numbers won't make any difference. You will be able to look at your tanks and see that they are where you want them to be. As for humidity gradients, they are completely unavoidable in almost any tank that is set up correctly (this rules out completely sealed tanks), though their size and strength will vary. In any tank suitable for dart frogs, you will have humidity gradients that the frogs can choose from whether you were shooting for that or not :) This is part of the reason I don't like moving water features. You may still have gradients but they shift the range higher than you likely want to have in a dart frog tank. A little pool (still inadvisable due to the floor space it takes away) and water in the drainage layer would contribute to higher humidity, but not to the degree that moving water does. I like to have water in the drainage layer of all of my tanks. It makes it easier for me to keep the overall humidity where I want it. Other stuff like venting, light gradients, internal fans, etc. will play a role in humidity gradients. It isn't just one monolithic humidity gradient from bottom to top. There will be little places where the air eddies, shade/full light, leaf litter that dries out at different rates. All of this stuff produces little gradients all over your tank. That's how I see it, anyway. Opinions among knowledgeable and experienced keepers will vary, though, I am sure.

Mark
Makes sense to me! Thanks for the insights.

If I may pester you experienced keepers once again: does anyone have suggestions regarding the water dish question posed in my previous post? Also it was noted that feeding schedules should be determined by age; but all I’ve read says just feed every 3 days. (Probably regurgitated nonsense) Can you provide more specific information regarding this for D. Leucomela species?

(I think this is another example of how even a care sheet statement such as: feeding should be based on age where at ages x to y you feed this often age Zfeeds this often. If this wasn’t mentioned in a passive comment in this thread I wouldn’t have gave feeding a second thought as one would have no prompt to question the general information out there. Right now for D leucomela care sheet there isn’t any mention of such distinctions or feeding at all so I had no reason to question the information I received elsewhere)

·
Super Moderator
2,692 Posts
Water dishes aren't needed for dart frogs at all. They get the water they need through their skin. I feed all of my frogs every other day (sometimes skipping 2 days if I am busy) regardless of age. It seems to work just fine for me.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
2,677 Posts
Honestly, I feed when they need it. Every couple days, more if they're thin, less if they're chubby.

Reactions: cmid02
21 - 24 of 24 Posts