Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While googling every random question that popped into my head about dart frogs and their care, I came across this forum (as well as another) that I thought it was time to join. I'm a ways off of actually owning dart frogs just yet, so I'll be more of a lurker than a poster for now. One source of information on keeping dart frogs that has me confused currently is Saurian's website; there are several great reviews for them on this site, so they must know what they are talking about to have healthy frogs to sell, but their care section seems contrary to what I'm reading in the forums. My instinct is to trust the popular opinion in the forums (an example would be their view on mixed tanks vs popular opinion here on mixed tanks). Does this mean I should not trust the info on their care site as opposed to other resources?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Welcome aboard Lilweirdchic! Patrick at Saurian is a good guy and he did not have a single mixed tank when I toured his facilities years ago. He told me that unfortunately, some people will always insist on mixing. So he offers some advice to keep mixing attempts from being a total catastrophe.
For the best results, and the healthiest, longest lived frogs, please don't mix.
NO LURKING ALLOWED!;) Get in here and ask some questions and start learning! :D

·
Registered
568 Posts
Some things in this hobby are a matter of opinion. Others are a matter of experience. The information you find in the threads on this forum is 99 percent of the time going to be more accurate than what you find on just a vendors website. The reason is this site is infused with new, more accurate information on a variety of subjects almost daily. Do lots of research on this site, and if you come across conflicting information, lean toward the most recent threads as they most likely contain more current information. The people here are great, and will help you in any way we can. Just remember to search and search before asking a question that has been answered many times, as this will mean you aren't doing your homework! And, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
There is no one true way to do it. Take your time, explore the threads here and elsewhere. Get your feet wet and then develop your own best way from your own experiences.

IMO :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much everyone for clarifying! I love to thoroughly research anything I do, and there is so much to learn about proper dart frog care; I just wanted to make sure I was educating myself in the right way. I am loving these forums; there is a thread for every topic and so many new things to know about this hobby. I will certainly post more once I've read enough to know what to ask about!:)

Reactions: frogface

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
If you look at the bottom of the forum threads you can look at the regional forum and look to see if there are any meetings or get togethers near you. That way you can go and see how people are setting up thier enclosures and get some ideas (as well as see a variety of the animals in person).

Dart frogs as a group are pretty easy and will do well in simple as well as complex set-ups so they have a fair bit of tolerance as well.

Ed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Ed, I will check that out!

·
Registered
68 Posts
welcome to the start of what could be the biggest addiction in your life! Dart frogs are amazing creatures to keep and trust me once you get one it will only progress this addiction even further.

If you cant find something on an area of research just remember the only silly question is the one you dont ask :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
i agree 100% with Ed. find a group to visit or find an experienced frogger near you. and ask every question you can think of. it works for me. even better if you can find two. and see what they do similiar and different and ask why.

AG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts