Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Kevin, and I have been lurking on this board for a few months now as a visitor. Today I decided to snap a few pictures of my pride and joy, and share them with you guys.

This is my 35-gallon hex set-up for my breeding pair of pumilio Bastimentos (and one lonely neon :cry: ). The tank is about 8 months old, and it has a running waterfall on the right side, 3 different types of broms, 4 different types of orchids, and a few wild ferns that just sprang up out of no where. Fell free to ask any question, when I get some time all try to answer all that I can.

My male calling to my female

Full tank shot

·
Registered
638 Posts
Welcome to the board. I have to say those are some great looking X's ;)

TonyT

Just kidding with you. Try and repost them I really would like to see what it looks like.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, so the pix loaded for me this time and what a great looking tank and of course the frogs are gorgeous. Very impressive. How long have you been building tanks and what did you use for the background above and below the waterline?

·
Registered
104 Posts
nice setup. Cool water setup. Is that Cork background?

Those frogs are out of this world.

That tank makes me want to set up a hex. lol

Welcome

Sal

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello and welcome!

What a beautiful tank and frogs!!! I am jealous, :mrgreen: , in a nice way of course, :D

I am still working on mine and might be a very old lady by the time I finish. LOL. Of course every time I look at someone else's tank I get new ideas for mine and that even lengthens the project more, :wink:

Oh well... one of these days.....

Jan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the wonderful comments guys. :D

I will try to answer all the question I have got from either this thread or PM's.

The tank is a 35-gallon acrylic hex. I drilled two holes in the bottom, one for drainage into the sump (where the heater and pump is), and one for the return pump for the waterfall. I also drilled 3 anchor holes in each pane on the back of the tank. The holes were for holding the cork bark in place, and keeping them there for years to come. I also drilled one hole to anchor the branch. After all the cork background and branches were in place I started setting up the waterfall. To set the waterfall up I drilled 5 holes into a piece of PVC and added hoses. From there I drilled corresponding holes into a large vertical rock, I pulled the hoses through and cut the extra off with a very hot knife. After the large rock was in place I siliconed rocks around the main one to complete the waterfall.
Next added alifor for the bottom and back of the tank. Over that I added small pea gravel, and stuffed a few medium-sized rock at the edge of the pond and the start of the land. On top of the land I used T&C Terrariums soil mix. The tank was very plain for months, but soon the plants took off along with the java moss. 6-8 months later the java moss pretty much covers everything.
Along with this tank I have a 72-gallon dart tank and a 10-gallon hex for a peacock day gecko. The pumilio terrarium was my second tank I ever set-up. I'm very happy with the way it turned out.
I am not selling any offspring at this time, but do hope to soon.

Once again thanks to everyone who showed an interest. If this post has sparked any more questions, please feel free to ask.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Sorry to bring this back up; but may i ask how you feed the frogs withought the food drowning? And is there any fish in the water section to eat up the remains? Lastly; is there a filter in your sump.

Thanks. Youve given me ideas for future terrariums.

M.N

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some of the fruit flies fall in the water section, but the neon eats 'em up. I have no filter for the water I just run some carbon. I'm beginning to think that a small canister filter might be a good idea as I am getting an algae build up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts