Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am loving having these adorable frogs in my terrarium (18×18×24). I am probably driving my friends and family nuts with my frog pictures, and I am not sure my Dendrobates Auratus are enjoying me photographing them. BUT They are so gorgeous! I am trying hard not to disturb them too much with flashes or opening the terrarium doors.

Anyway, an issue I am kind of having is that when I go to dust their insects for food, either I have a mess of way too much vitamin powder in their food dish, or the bugs are escaping while I try and get the excess off. I had a funny/ bad bug issue the other day too, I forgot to fully snap on the bean beetle lids and had escapees where the frog food is kept. Yikes. I Took care of that but so glad it wasn't crickets. Sorry Aura and Emerald, only way you two get those is dried. (mushed because the zilla knes I have are way too big for these little frogs.
Side note, what do you call your froggies when you dont know their sex yet? he, she, they, it? (I have probably 7-10 months before I can make a good guess.)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Assuming you are feeding fruit flies:

I always have two containers. Larger container I put the supplement into first. Then I tap fruit flies from their culture into the first container. Keep tapping the container and they will keep falling back into it.

Once you have what you need, swish them around in the powder. Once they have the powder on them, they won't climb out anymore.

Next, tap these into the smaller container by tapping the bottom or side. You should be able to get most of the flies out into the new container and leave most of the rest of the dust behind. Just discard the used powder.

From there, feed!

·
Registered
1.1 D.Tinctorius nominat, 0.0.2 D.Tinctorius tumucumaque, 1.1 oophaga pumilio bastimentos rfb
119 Posts
I get the excess clacium out when I have got my fruit flies fully dusted, then I get a piece of metal or plastic mesh with small holes put it in front of the glass where my fruit flies are turn it around and shake a bit that should get ride of all the excess. I don’t usually say he or she or they I just say the male female or the frogs as they aren’t sexed I don’t know if you knew but there is a way of saying what sex frogs you have with numbers for example I have a 1.1.3 oophaga pumilio bastimentos red frog beach the first number always corresponds to the males the second number to females and the last number to unsexed I have 3 youngsters as they are reproducing. So you would have a 0.0.2 auratus el cope.

hope this helps and welcome to this great hobby.

·
Super Moderator
2,447 Posts
Chris and pepepepe have given some good advice on preventing supplement powder from getting into the tank.

I don't worry about the prefer transfer as much as they seem to. What I do is similar to Chris' first steps. I put the supplement powder (repashy calcium plus is what I use) into an 8 or 16oz deli cup, then I tap the flies out of the fruit fly culture, like Chris describes, swirl the ones in the supplement cup around, then feed from that cup to he frogs. I skip Chris' second transfer to the smaller cup.

Can you share pictures of your whole tank? Spaghnum moss on top of the substrate is not a generally recommended husbandry practice with the majority of us on here.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can say 0.0.2 auratus to herps, other frog keepers, here; but not to family and friends. I read that someone uses a funnel, after posting my intro.

Is there a specific reason for not having sphag moss on top? The frogs seem to really enjoy that space. I placed it there out of their shipment cups to hopefully ease their transition into the new home.

·
Super Moderator
2,447 Posts
The reason the frogs are staying by the moss is that your tank is very dry (at least from what I see on the pictures).

Typically Moss on top of the substrate holds too much moisture which is not good for the frogs' feet.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is only that one patch. They do not stay there. I said they liked it there. They move around, eat and explore their food, have two small water pools to sit in, they hide under a planter and in a coco hit too. My humidity levels were actually above 80 when I took those pictures, I do have to mist daily. Just because you can't see the water. . .

I am and have been doing a good job setting up the vivarium. If you want to talk more about an elevated (above the substrate) very loose 6 inch by 6 inch (or less) mossy patch that my auratus are enjoying let's pm.

I asked about bug issues. And wanted to introduce my froglets, but am getting undue criticism over a non issue, by a mod. As a beginner frog keeper and someone who did a ton of research, this feels both off topic and a little attack-like. I am not trying to be or cause drama, this is just how it feels out of the gate.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What gauge are you using in the pictures? Does it do temp and humidity or just humidity? I’ve been looking for another one after several that I haven’t liked.

I don’t keep dart frogs so I can’t speak on the moss or fruit fly issues fully but I have seen people dust them in one container, move them to another and then add them from that container to the tank to avoid powder in the setup. Not sure how easy that actually is though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think it’s advice rather than criticism. I also think the tank looks rather dry, and in fact the humidity in the hygrometer in the photo shows it as 42% rather than the 80% you claim. I would add that those hygrometers are notoriously unreliable - although typical they read higher than actual and often get stuck at 99% before failing.

In terms of dusting the flies I’m at the other extremity - I go from big cup to small cup, and then finally transfer to an orchid ‘test tube’ (no idea of the proper name) as this helps me to direct where I want to drop the flies, and also acts as a measure.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I asked about bug issues. And wanted to introduce my froglets, but am getting undue criticism over a non issue, by a mod. As a beginner frog keeper and someone who did a ton of research, this feels both off topic and a little attack-like. I am not trying to be or cause drama, this is just how it feels out of the gate.
People here just have the intention to help. If you are new to the hobby, you should accept the advice and take it in stride. It is only meant to benefit your frogs and is not a personal attack on you.

Research is only as good as the sources used, and there is a lot of crap out there. Even older stuff on this forum can be misleading. You may benefit from starting another thread on your current setup, so you can illicit some more advice from some experienced hobbyists here.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have three hygrometers reading both temp and humidity. I ordered the one in the picture from Amazon. I forget branding though. Then I got a heat mat and it came with one. The vivarium did get a little too warm last night. One dry zone does not a dry tank make.

Not all new comers want unsolicited advice. I May leave this forum. I justed wanted to squee about some frogs I am starting to raise.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Not all new comers want unsolicited advice. I May leave this forum. I justed wanted to squee about some frogs I am starting to raise.
Before you leave, please take a look around at some of the photos of other members’ tanks , just to get an idea of how wet others keep them.

But how about staying around? There is no need to get defensive. Accept the criticism/advice, even if you don’t agree with it - there’s a lot to learn for everyone.

·
Registered
1.1 D.Tinctorius nominat, 0.0.2 D.Tinctorius tumucumaque, 1.1 oophaga pumilio bastimentos rfb
119 Posts
Im sorry but we where just looking out for the best care for your frogs as we doubt you want them to be in bad conditions or die. Most of us here have been keeping frogs for quiet some while I for example have been keeping my frogs for more than 4 and a half years and I have made loads of mistakes and I have learnt from them. I don’t understand why you wouldn’t want good info for the health and well-being of your frogs im sorry to say this but If your not going to look after them properly or at least make all you can so they are fine maybe you should consider an other animal.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Not all new comers want unsolicited advice.
Heya. When I was new to this, my biggest problem was that I didn't know the right questions to ask because I had no experience to draw on. In that regard, unsolicited advice from experienced keepers can be a good thing sometimes, as it may produce a valuable insight. Worst case scenario, maybe you get advice you don't need. Best case, you learn something new.

It can be hard to get the full picture -- in either direction -- when communicating through a limited medium like a discussion forum, but even if initial assumptions are incorrect, it's an opportunity for a dialogue, and that's a great way to learn new stuff.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The bromeliads leafs are a bit bad as I had that brom a bit abandoned out of any tank.

·
Registered
Nothing at the moment
133 Posts
@Roanwiq

It's hard not to take criticism personal. I have had my share of "verbal spankings". These guys (and girls) just want the best for the frogs so you can enjoy them for many years to come.
I have only had my frogs since April 29th. Because I don't know, I ask many questions and some comments do seem snarky. I read between the lines and realize that might be their way of hitting their suggestions and advice home.
The only way I learn about this hobby is to read all of the suggestions and ask all the questions I can as articles can tell me so much but experience is the best teacher. I know that is so cliché, but it's true.
We're/ they're here to help.
Good luck. I hope to see your progress soon.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think if you reflect on this you'll see that you're being defensive. People are just trying to help with their experience. If you don't think it applies, just scroll on. But if you're a beginner, it's worth considering that people with a lot more experience might know something. I've certainly learned a lot from people on here. Don't let your pride get in the way of learning something.

·
Super Moderator
2,447 Posts
I'm sorry you feel attacked, it certainly isn't and wasn't my intention.

We're here to help your frogs.

That might be one of the driest tanks I have ever seen in my years on here and from any other dart frog vivariums I've seen pictures of. The humidity gauge you show in your picture reads at 42% humidity (not that humidity gauges are the most reliable apparatus) not the 80% you referenced. I'm basing my opinion on your tank's dryness by looking at the leaf litter and the cork bark. They look very, very dry, drier than any of my leaf litter ever gets, and as dry as the cork bark in my big tanks that doesn't get any water sprayed onto it.

As also mentioned by another poster, the thermometer reads at 83.4F which is getting into dangerous temperature territory.

By your description the frogs hide under the planter and under the coco hit, these will very likely be the most humid places in the tank.

You mention that you have a heat mat, where's the heat mat located? Based upon the thermometer reading you likely do not need to be adding any additional heat at this point

1 - 20 of 23 Posts