Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Tinc “Patricia”
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So long time lurker first time poster. I’ve kept aquariums for years and decided on a paludarium to try something new. I converted my 36 gallon bow to a paludarium and have one tinc Patricia variant. It’s bioactive and automated. All I do is mist a couple times a day and feed. And I love it. Looking forward to learning a lot and getting inspiration.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Welcome jllh, we are happy to have you, and hope you will have an open mind, you will find only your frogs well being at the forefront of recommendations.

Im going to have to comment since you did post a photo of your frog and tank. I will be brief and sincere..

It looks like i see a water line of 6 inches or more, i hope i am mistaken. As there is no water level that would be healthy.

it is either cause or contributor to the lean ness of your frog. Not yet bony but not well fleshed as he could be.

Please receive with spirit intended.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I will say that your tank is beautiful, just not designed with dart frog care in mind. Not enough land mass to support a dart frog, especially a predominantly terrestrial species. Your frog looks to be male to me. Males are typically leaner than females and it looks like the toepads are wide which would further support my theory of male. The frog is lean though, even for a male. I wouldn't call it emaciated. Just underweight especially compared to many of the obese frogs I see posted here....and some of my own historically. I won't attribute the leanness to the environment specifically, but it is likely a contributing factor.

Dart frogs don't need standing bodies of water to bathe or swim in. They are found on the forest floor, predominantly in leaf litter. Some are found around water, but they do not use it as a retreat from predators where they need to dive beneath the surface to avoid predation. They simply associate with water since it likely provides ambient moisture, humidity, and probably a food source as insects metamorphose and leave the water. No need to metamorphose your feeders in your viv since you are no doubt feeding cultured flies. And cultured flies are easily dusted with the proper supplements. Bioactive doesn't meant self sustaining. You need to supplement your feeders to ensure proper nutrition.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Theres a spectacular onslaught of paladarium online presence.

Along with the term 'bioactive' that has been well, kind hi jacked from its original use and definition.

These have had powerful promotional impacts that have frequently missed animal health and wellness goals.

Your vivarium can be made into an equally beautiful yet wholesome environment for your frog but you must act Now.

There swift acquisitions to be made, including stabilizing the frog.

As an immediate, drain vivarium ASAP.

You may need to put damp paper towel or emergency sphag down until a step by step plan can be solidified.

Personally i think the frog has been chronically stressed and shouldnt be moved without careful planning and an absolutely sound Q env.

J this can be fixed.

·
Registered
Tinc “Patricia”
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I have to admit my first reaction at coming back to this was to get defensive. But I took some time and cooled off and thought about all these posts and all of you are right. I’m going to change up the paludarium this weekend, take out the water, add some sphagnum moss and leaf litter.

We have a 20 gallon aquarium that we will setup without water for the little guy and move him as soon as it’s done. Is 20 big enough for one tinc? I’ll make sure there are two levels of usable space for him to add more ground space.

I came here to learn and I see maybe I don’t know as much as I thought I did.

One final question. What do you recommend would be appropriate for the 36 bow as it is?

·
Super Moderator
2,936 Posts
Glad you came back, Jllh123!
You don't need the layer of sphagnum under the leaf litter. I would suggest a drainage layer where water gathers (either an egg crate false bottom or a layer of LECA clay balls), then a substrate layer (some form of ABG mix or calcined clay like Turface or equivalent) then the leaf litter directly on top of that. I think a 20 gallon for a single Tinc would probably work fine, if it's set up correctly.

I am sorry, I don't know much other than darts, so I don't know what would be good for the other tank as it is. I will let someone else chime in.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
3,348 Posts
Though I've never done this, I've kept fish for decades, so take it with a grain of salt. I think that a few well chosen aquatic animals (fish, shrimp) would be delightful in there as a paludarium. It is a beautiful setup, and really is nice without any animals at all.

You don't have much water volume, so I'd look at something like Endler's livebearers, or sparkling gouramis, or a male betta (or a couple females), and/or some algae shrimp -- a community like plantedtank.net could give better recommendations.

Reactions: hansgruber7

·
Registered
59 Posts
That's a beautiful paludarium. I think you should keep it as is and put something else in it. Maybe a betta, or some tetras, or dwarf shrimp. I wonder if you could keep a lizard, or newt, or snake, or something that is better-suited for a paludarium.

·
Registered
Tinc “Patricia”
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions. We started the 20 this weekend. It will take a while to get completed. I have lowered the water level to several inches below the framing for the land and made sure the drainage was working properly. The land portion has dried out. I have leaf litter down and will skip the moss. My guy was t happy with me when I was messing with the tank but he should like it better now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts