Dendroboard banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello To everyone. I just recently picked up this great hobby within the last month and have been non stop searching threw forums. With so much usefull information on this forum and at vivariumforums.com I have been able to answer all my question just by searching threw all the threads. I would like to thank everyone who took the time to respond to those who needed help and gave advice and information. I have started my first build about a weeks ago with a 18x18x18 Exo Terra tank I picked up on craigslist for 60 bucks. I made myself a huge list of items that I had to get from the information I collected on these forums and different build technics and started from there. As far as getting familiar with the different breeds of frogs and plants I have only started. Seems to me like a good started dart would be the azureus (pair). And the plants I just found were from my local Lowes I just picked up today (alternanthera, small firn, pothos, african violet, couple others I forgot. Used the egg crate falso bottom w/ small water feature (minijet 606) landscaping fabric everything, GS Foam, GE Black Silicone II, cocofiber/spagnum moss/forest moss for background. 1" layer of rocks/pebbles then 3"-4" layer of ABG Mix. Anways here is a pic of where I'm currently at.

·
Registered
725 Posts
good luck with your build. looks like its coming along nicely. Just remember to research research research, and research some more! and don't forget to get your feeder insects producing smoothly before you get your frogs. what size tank is that?

·
Registered
379 Posts
You're off to a great start! Be sure to FF proof the front vent in that tank or else you'll have flies crawling everywhere :eek:

There are build threads that show how this can be done. Most people just pop off the front vent and silicone No see um screen to cover the bigger vent holes. I don't have any links on hand though.

-Chris

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just wanted to say Hello to the new member. I have one question though. Why have you started to plant your tank before you have siliconed over the GS? Seems a little backwards to me, or am I missing something.

·
Registered
161 Posts
One thing I would mention. Assume your water pump will break (because it will). When that happens you will want it to be easy to access so it can be replaced.

Nice looking Viv so far.
Doug

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone! I have been lurking about for a bit now, and thought I would introduce myself!! i am David from USA ,Ak,Anchorage,nice to meet you,hope to know more about you.......

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Just wanted to say Hello to the new member. I have one question though. Why have you started to plant your tank before you have siliconed over the GS? Seems a little backwards to me, or am I missing something.
He probably just wanted to show the look and/or just seeing what they will look like, seeing wether or not he likes the plants lol....I sure hope he didn't plant before doing the background lol

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I have started my first build about a weeks ago with a 18x18x18 Exo Terra tank I picked up on craigslist for 60 bucks. Seems to me like a good started dart would be the azureus (pair).
That is a great deal. My personal favorite dimensions for a tank for the moment. And azureus are definately a good starter dart.

·
Registered
802 Posts
This is the same start I had in the hobby. I found an 18" cube for cheap on craigslist and got it all set up for azureus. I actually found another one not too long ago on craigslist as well that is just hanging out on my desk at the moment. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. No the plants are actually sitting in their pots when I purchased them and I jusy layed them in there to get a feel for how things will look.

to DougP: I have a chamber I made from the egg crate in the back right corner. So all I have to do is disconnect the tube and lift up the pump.

I cut a piece of glass and siliconed it to the top of the existing lid. left 3" of space with screen in the front of the lid for a vent and use another small piece of glass to adjust the venting.

He it is at its current state.

·
Registered
253 Posts
fantastic! You've probably avoided mainy things that I and others learned by trial and error. Good looking tank!

you getting the frogs soon?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you! Yeah I did a fair share of research. And I still am, It never ends!!
Right now im trying to find out more info on viv plants and what else I can add.
I would like to add some Java moss, Aquaplants, and some ivy.
I might take a trip to this nice large local nursary ans see what they have.

you getting the frogs soon?
Yes I am! in a month or so I plan on making a order for a sexed pair of azureus
with Patrick Nabors.

·
Registered
45 Posts
One mistake we made was get plexiglass and it curled at the corners and we lost 2 male leuc! Lesson learned! Good luck and enjoy it!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One mistake we made was get plexiglass and it curled at the corners and we lost 2 male leuc! Lesson learned! Good luck and enjoy it!
Thanks, sorry to hear the loss. That would be a disaster. I did some research on lids and was going to go the glass route but decided on having someone make me one from lexan.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.