Dendroboard banner

Hello everyone :-) Just starting

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Cfrog 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, my name is Dave, and I'm still really new to the hobby. I've built my own vivariums, I just like to look at them, and grow plants in them. Like my own personal rainforests. But I'm thinking some dart frogs would look really cool in there. A lil info about the one I wanna use..

22 Gallon Cube Aquarium with a dual incandescent hood w/ glass top.
False bottom with plastic grating, stepping down around the sides to give a river like effect into a pool that's about 6" deep.
I use one of those Zoo Med turtle tank mini canister filter to draw water from the pool and flows at the top of the "waterfall river"
I've got a few plants in there now, I'll take a picture or 2 and edit the post.

What would be a cool species of frog that won't climb the glass and escape on me?

-Dave
SPF

#2 · (Edited)
Hi Dave and welcome to the most addicting hobby. Ever.

It sounds like you have a really good looking tank on your hands. However, and maybe I'm misunderstanding your post but you won't be able to put ANY species of dart frog in a tank without a full top. The entire tank needs to be sealed. Even more terrestrial species are capable of climbing. And an escape is very likely to be a death sentence as the darts will dry up quickly outside of their tank.
Also, the humidity would be a bit low without a top.

Luckily, it's pretty easy to get a piece of glass cut. You could have one cut to the exact size of your tank and put a latch and hinges on it to make the tank a nice safe home for a pair of frogs of your choice.

Hopefully this is helpful to you and I didn't entirely misread your post :)

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures.

#3 ·
Haha... It is the most addicting hobby ever!!

An easy and inexpensive way to get a lid is by going to Lowes. Just take the measurements of the inside lip and have them cut it to your specs. I usually have them cut it straight down the middle and silicone cabinet door handles to them for easier access.

As mentioned above ALL poison dart frogs are capable of escape without a proper fitting mid. Not to mention you'll have fruit flies everywhere lol.

Good luck and welcome to Dendroboard!!!

#6 ·
All of your frogs will climb the glass and try to escape :p

Yes, get a lid. Some (me) like to add a screened section so we can allow more air while also being able to close it off to build up humidity. Rumor has it that plexiglass will warp. I just get cheap glass cut at Lowe's.

Looking forward to seeing your build. :D

#9 ·
You can handle them, if it is a must. I would not do it too much because it will stress them out. Just be sure your hands are clean because the frogs can absorb toxins from you. :) I would also wash your hands after handling them. I personally just keep a bottle of hand sanitizer in the frog room.

#11 ·
I tried a plexiglass top, even though I read countless posts suggesting not to. I thought it would be an easy and quick non permanent solution to my problem.
Everyone was right, it warped. In a matter of days too.

To save yourself the time and money make it easy on yourself and go for glass the first time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.