Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have many reptiles and I am soon to get some PDF's. I was wondering about feeding. I know they eat small things. Would pinhead crickets be appealing to them. Is that a good food source for them. Also, how do you culture Fruit Flies. I know when you buy a culture you get everything you need, but I dont know what to do with it, how long the cultures last. How many flies to put in the tank. I have a 30 gallon long that is going to be a vivarium. I am getting a group of leucs or something else. I dont really know yet. What PDF's are good group frogs. I am going to get 4 of them, whatever they turn out to be.

·
Registered
747 Posts
hey, normally, PDF's will eat pinhead crickets. i wouldnt make them a staple food source tho. as for the rest of the info you wanted, if you do a bit of browsing on the forum, you will find everything you need to know. right here in the food discussion forum, there are several articles on how to culture fruit flies and making the media. just take a look around. enjoy the forum!!!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Did you read the FAQ? That may answer a lot of your questions.
http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324

If you are willing to raise crickets, then yes they are a viable food source, as long as they are small enough. Remember, you may be reading about adult frogs and what they eat, but be starting with juveniles that can't quite handle the larger food yet. My breeder suggested food smaller than the spacing between their eyes as that is the width of their mouth. Terribillis seem to cram all sorts of stuff down their mouths, but even then you will be starting off with young frogs most likely. Most folks use fruit flies and springtails to feed their frogs.

Here is more information about FF:
http://www.doylesdartden.com/fruitfly.html

If those sites don't answer your questions, please feel free to touch on what you still need clarification about.

Here is the short version: (a) always buy your flies from a vendor and/or (b) DIY: figure out the type of fly and order a starter culture, find a suitable container and lid, buy or make media, put in something to increase surface area if you choose (coffee filter, needlepoint mesh, excelsior), put in flies from your other culture, monitor culture, and take preventative measures against mite attacks. This topic has been covered extensively. Do a search using the feature in the menu above, and you will find a wealth of information. The most challenging part in my opinion is getting the flies from the container to the dusting powder to the vivarium without getting flies all over the place.

Here's what has worked best for me so far. Take gallon zip-loc bag, put the mouth a a fair amount of the culture into the bag inverted (the flies seem to seek higher ground (they go up), unscrew the lid, tap out the number of flies you need (be careful not to dislodge the media, I use excelsior which keeps it in place), replace the lid, close the bag. Open the bag, add a small amount of dusting powder, swish the flies around. Then, I take a small plastic lid, scoop up the flies, dump the extra powder out, and then put the flies into the aquarium. After the frogs have hunted most of the flies, the survivors have knocked out most of the dusting powder, if I want to give the frogs an assist, I spray the tank as it gets the flies moving again.

I would recommend (1) seed your tank with springtails well in advance and (2) get multiple cultures of melanogaster flies going. Many folks suggest buying your first batch of media. I found that the recipies on here work just fine just be careful about mites. Also, I wouldn't start with turkish gliders as they are a bit more agile and good at escaping. Once you get the hang of feeding, they might be a good addition to your cultures since they provide a bit more of a challenge for the frogs.

Marcos

PS Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Flies are much easier to culture than crickets. Most large breeders feed mainly pinheads, but they have thousands of frogs and they have large cricket breeding setups. Order some flies, cups, and medium from one of our reliable sponsors and once you have cultures going using their medium you can try homemade concoctions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts