Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All -

In ~2000, I acquired 2 frogs which were (at that point in time) called the unique species, Dendrobates azureus, from Patrick Nabors at Saurian.

As I left for college, I donated my frog collection to a friend - until 20 years later, working from a COVID-inspired home office, decided to set up a new vivarium to re-enter the hobby.

At present I have 2 in situ ecosystems amazonias set up - 1 with 4(1.1.2) Ranitomeya imitator southern from Ruffing's Ranitomeya, the other with 3(0.0.3) Oophaga pumilio bastimentos from Troy Goldberg.

I'm eager to re-enter the hobby, learn about what has changed over the past years, and get to experience more of these frogs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey welcome back :) cant wait to see some pics of what you've done with those Amazonias
Definitely - need them to grow in a bit more... One of them is a spray foam background, the other is hygrolon and epiweb (though I just revisited it a bit because I wasn't happy with it). Some of my photos are on instagram - same username as I have here. I'll try to upload some more.

I really like how well they drain, the easy lighting, the mistking insertion points. The one complaint is that the doors can be finicky: one of them shattered during install of spray foam background just from tapping it with a piece of wood (had to buy a new set), and opening the doors can get completely jammed/stuck shut sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
3,354 Posts
Welcome! :)

really like how well they drain, the easy lighting, the mistking insertion points. The one complaint is that the doors can be finicky: one of them shattered during install of spray foam background just from tapping it with a piece of wood (had to buy a new set), and opening the doors can get completely jammed/stuck shut sometimes.
Can confirm all this (except the breaking the door with a stick part ;)). I put a little silicone lubricant in the tracks -- reduces the sticking.

Ranitomeya imitator southern
R. variabilis 'Southern'?

·
Super Moderator
3,354 Posts
ignorant beginner
Hardly.

Having experience from 20 years ago, even with a break in between, likely gives you the wisdom of perspective that no taxonomic inaccuracy can undermine. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,936 Posts
Welcome back, ogrfrogs. It's good to have you here. I would say two things that have changed the most in the last couple of decades is that people have learned the value of good ventilation and that proper supplementation (dusting flies - look in to Repashy's line of supplements) has eliminated things like spindly leg syndrome. There's a lot less guess work and anecdote driving husbandry, as well.

Mark

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Mark!

proper supplementation (dusting flies - look in to Repashy's line of supplements)
A question here that I ran into that you just reminded me of... I've got mostly smaller frogs in large heavily planted vivaria.. When I dump dusted flies in, the flies wind up wandering around, getting misted by the mistking on a timer, and rubbing off a lot of the supplement. Back when I used to have Tincs, Azureus types in a less planted 10 gallon, they would rush to the front and devour the flies immediately. How do people deal with this? Should I feed fewer flies less frequently and the frogs will start to emerge from their hiding places to eat immediately?

·
Super Moderator
3,354 Posts
I have my mistking set to mist in the early AM only, and only feed after that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have my mistking set to mist in the early AM only, and only feed after that.
ah. I haven't really messed with misting settings much, been doing a bunch of short mists (like 10 seconds every 90 minutes through the day)... I should go look for a thread on that in 'beginner guides' section I guess

·
Super Moderator
3,354 Posts
I don't find that my InSitus dry out very quickly, so I only mist AM (at about 8 am, and then about 8:30, maybe 20 seconds each time, 3 nozzles per Amazonia).

Having a constantly wet viv doesn't allow the keeper to 'read' the frogs' behavior regarding moisture levels, so I aim for a good amount of daily fluctuation, and always err on the side of dryness generally (again, so I can see what the frogs are telling me).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts