Dendroboard banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
So jealous.

Nice sundew in the background.

I keep Sarracenia and a carnivorous brom. I am not sure if I have the correct conditions to grow Heliamphora. Would be willing to share your growing conditions for them please? And thank you.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'm only twelve, but I am obsessed with carnivorous plants. Where did you get yours?
I couldn't afford Heliamaphora x Nutans from blackjungle a while back, so I moved on to venus flytraps and pitcher plants.
Meadowview biological research station is a great place to buy pitcher plants and support pitcher plant preserves. Stewart McPherson donated over $6000 to them.
Another good place to look at is Bigplants.com. They are located in Alabama and I have ordered from Jim a few times. His pitcher plants are GIANT. Sarracenia Leucophylla along with some other stunning sarracenia are not tropical, but still make awesome house plants.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These heliamphoras are from Wistuba.com
They have the largest selection around. They are not in the USA, took about two months to get from the time I ordered. Heliamphoras are expensive and can be tricky to grow. I also have many sundews, VFTs, and sarracenia. I have a number of cold tolerate ones that I will over Winter in my garage. Still gets below freezing, but they survive.

Steve

·
Registered
739 Posts
I'm only twelve, but I am obsessed with carnivorous plants. Where did you get yours?
I couldn't afford Heliamaphora x Nutans from blackjungle a while back, so I moved on to venus flytraps and pitcher plants.
Meadowview biological research station is a great place to buy pitcher plants and support pitcher plant preserves. Stewart McPherson donated over $6000 to them.
Another good place to look at is Bigplants.com. They are located in Alabama and I have ordered from Jim a few times. His pitcher plants are GIANT. Sarracenia Leucophylla along with some other stunning sarracenia are not tropical, but still make awesome house plants.
I think it's AWESOME that you are so young and yet you are totally into this hobby. You seem wise beyond your years. Keep it up and you'll be a total expert when you get older. I was getting into herpetology and lizards when I was around your age, then I moved on to gardening as well. And wouldn't you know, I was obsessed with carnivorous plants as well! :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
awesome! I've had sun pitchers before and always seemed to lose them during the hottest part of the summer... and i live in western washington! they really like the cool nights, and they're pretty fast growers when happy.

I see a cephalotus in the background too, another of my favorites. how long have you have your? My record with one was about a year and a half. Carnivorous plants are one of the most rewarding yet frustrating plants to keep!

·
Registered
431 Posts
I live in Michigan and did an experiment last summer. I took a sarracenia leucophylla and planted it on a lake shore. I doubted that it would survive, but it did. This year, I'm going to mulch it heavily, and hopefully it'll thrive.

I'm just starting to get into PDFs, but I have read so many posts, I feel like an expert already! I've been an expert on the latin names of plants for a while, and now that I have biology and life science at school, I already know half of the things we talk about in class.

I bought my terrarium from a guy who started herpetology at the age of about 12 or 13, too, and he's been really helpful.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Wistuba.com looks really good. There are not many vendors in the US that have any real Nepenthes or heliamaphora. They all give you plants that are 2 cm tall. I ordered my first nepenthes from blackjungle, and the pitcher was only 2 cm tall. I mean, what can you expect for 12.00, but then I ordered from meadowview (pitcherplant.org) and got 5 inch tall pitchers. Big improvement.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Are you talking about the one in Caroline County VA?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wistuba.com looks really good. There are not many vendors in the US that have any real Nepenthes or heliamaphora. They all give you plants that are 2 cm tall. I ordered my first nepenthes from blackjungle, and the pitcher was only 2 cm tall. I mean, what can you expect for 12.00, but then I ordered from meadowview (pitcherplant.org) and got 5 inch tall pitchers. Big improvement.
For Nepenthes, I get them from Ebay or Cobraplants.com, They are located in Oregon and have very nice plants.

Steve

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yes I am talking about the one in Caroline County, VA, and I have looked at cobraplants.com, before. They looked really good, just never ordered from them. Same with Californiacarnivores.com

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I live in Michigan and did an experiment last summer. I took a sarracenia leucophylla and planted it on a lake shore. I doubted that it would survive, but it did. This year, I'm going to mulch it heavily, and hopefully it'll thrive.

I'm just starting to get into PDFs, but I have read so many posts, I feel like an expert already! I've been an expert on the latin names of plants for a while, and now that I have biology and life science at school, I already know half of the things we talk about in class.

I bought my terrarium from a guy who started herpetology at the age of about 12 or 13, too, and he's been really helpful.
Please keep a close eye on this. Make sure the plant does not reseed. Not being from your area, it has no business growing wild, and has the potential to pollute the native Sarracenia gene pool (assuming it's in an area where they grow). Most people in the world don't ever take this into consideration, but after many hours of removing invasive exotics, I must tell you things can get out of hand rather quickly. That being said, I agree with flyingSquirrel, you have the potential to be an excellent frogger, and a great source of information for the next young person. Keep it up!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
OP- it looks like your medium is quite dry. Having never grown these, I have no idea on their culture. Do they prefer to dry out?

·
Registered
431 Posts
It didn't even bloom, but thanks for the warning anyways. I realize it could pollute local genus, but it would never survive without close care of mulching in the winter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts