Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My frogs stay in my basement where the temps are kinda low and the sticky heat pad things i buy never last more than a week. currently I have an electric heating pad, I bought when I threw my back out, taped to the back of the tank. It works great but its UGLY, what should I do

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
You have a 71 F Basement in MI......in the winter?

Not a real problem there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no, its about 64 in the basement. 70-71 in the tank with the light, and it gets a little colder at night. I'd like 76-78. the frogs are ok in 70-71 but way less active, and whats the point of having them if you never see them.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
you are right about the temps you are looking for, as well as higher temps increasing frog activity.

Why can't you keep the viv in your bedroom?

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
LOL......Now we just have to turn your entire basement / bedroom into one big giant viv! You can sleep out in the open until we can get you a big enough coco hut....

Seriously.....Use a fairly tight glass top to help with heat rentention. Check out adding some other daytime lighting for a little extra heat.

I normally don't reccomend any heating pad type element although others on the board like to use them. I just don't trust them for hot spots or accidental things.....

Your temps will certainly be ok until spring and summer rolls around, then they will increase....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just bought a new top for it and I'm a getting new pair of aqua-glow flourescant bulbs. the bulbs I have are about 10 yrs old so hopefully this will help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts