Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a new 12x12x18 viv for my auratus, and I'm starting to think about what I need to do to keep it warm come the winter time. Its been a bit chilly here recently so I currently just have an incandescent bulb hanging to the side of the tank, in addition to the normal CFL above in the hood. The incandescent keeps the temperature up pretty well but it won't cut it once it gets actually cold.

I've looked over plenty of threads about heating these things, but there are just so many opinions and so many different "you definitely can't do this and have to do this" statements, its hard to keep everything straight and weed out the hyperbole.

I know that in general the best thing to do is keep the room warm, rather than have heating specifically for the tank. However in my case the tank is in a fairly large living room, with one wall made up entirely of glass. Basically a giant wall sized window. So keeping this entire room at mid 70's all winter would drain my bank account pretty quickly. Some of you might then suggest I move the tank to a small room or closet, but I got these and made the terrarium to look at, not stow away. Even though I know its a solution, I'm looking for one that keeps everyone happy before going for something like that.

So I'm thinking maybe I need to take a multi-source approach. Maybe get an oil space heater to place near the tank to do what it can but not go crazy, and get something to put under the tank to let some heat rise up. I'm pretty handy so I don't mind some light construction work. Maybe a heat pad for the side or something as well? Most things I've read about are either "this will cook the frogs" or "this will only raise it a few degrees," so it seems to me having a few little things that raise it a few degrees is better than creating an oven.

What I can't do at this point is add in an aquarium heater. I looked at the pros and cons before making the viv and decided it wasn't right for what I was doing.

Again, this is a fairly small tank so it doesn't need a lot, but having one intense heat source I know is not a good idea for a smaller tank.

So does anyone have any suggestions for a combination of solutions?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gosh I don't rightly know, cold enough to need a hoodie or sweater basically all the time. Maybe around 50-55? I don't mind having the heat on more than I would otherwise normally do, but we'd still have a definite gap to make up. Plus I have radiators, so they suck the moisture out of the air (though I'm not too concerned about humidity at this point).

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would agree. An under tank heating mat is probably the easiest. This is a link to many different options on amazonAmazon.com: under tank heater: Pet Supplies. I use one during winter months. I just don't take off the paper backing and stick it to the tank. I've heard people have issues with cracking (plus it can raise the temp a ton). I know my 12x12x18 has a raised bottom, so I just set it on top of the mat. It works pretty well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would recommend getting a thermometer or smoething that you can put inside the viv, so that you know what the temperature is in there.
I actually have three! I got an analogue one initially, then got a second analogue one, different brand, to double check. Then I got a third, a digital this time, because I got paranoid. They all read within a few degrees of each other, though the digital seems to read warmer when the temperature in general is warmer, and cooler when the temperature in general is cooler...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've had some undertank heaters going in my tank and it only raise the temp 1 degree...

I wonder if the heat can get through all of the substrate I have on the floor. There is at least 4-5 inches of stuff the heat has to go through to get to the air of the tank.
False Bottom
Substrate Barrier
ABG Mix
Sphagnum Moss
Leaf litter..

·
Registered
332 Posts
I've had some undertank heaters going in my tank and it only raise the temp 1 degree...

I wonder if the heat can get through all of the substrate I have on the floor. There is at least 4-5 inches of stuff the heat has to go through to get to the air of the tank.
False Bottom
Substrate Barrier
ABG Mix
Sphagnum Moss
Leaf litter..
how much water is in the bottom of the tank?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts