Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems most people dont like heat pads, but if I decided to use one with a thermostat would it be OK behind a GS background?
Sorry if this has been answered, i looked for a while and found no answer.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
good luck getting an answer from someone who "knows"--I asked that same question umpteen months ago...and never did get any answer! I have a couple of those heat pads and would like to use them if they would work...I do know that you are not supposed to use them under a false bottom--but do not know whether they'd be okay under just a plain substrate...I'm going to subscribe 'cause inquiring minds want to know....

·
Registered
366 Posts
I can't give you a definitive answer, but considering GS is an insulation material, depending on the background thickness, I'd assume the heat transfer from pad to tank may be cut down quite a bit. As far as the safety aspect, someone else is going to have to chime in.

Pat

·
Registered
552 Posts
My personal recommendation from my experience using heat sources for multiple other animals is to always use a thermostat in conjunction with it. I'm guilty of still not having them hooked up on a couple of my cages but It's the safest way to go. That way, even if the heat source malfunctions causing it to put out a dangerous amount of heat, the thermostat will shut it off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ya GS is definitely an insulation product its more likely that most of the heat will reflect outside the terrarium than go through the background. You could try it under the Terrarium depending on your sub strait set up it might be as useless there as behind the GS though.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I actually have a heating pad set up in my tank. It is on one of the sides of a long tank. After about two months of having it on there I am realizing that my great stuff is pulling away from the glass in the area close to the heating pad. Although just that edge is touching the part where I put the great stuff on the glass.

I am not sure if that is a "normal" thing or not, but I would definitely be watching the great stuff to make sure it isn't pulling away if you choose to do it.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I had considered elevating the one viv slightly with a heat pad under it but on the horizontal surface--so it would not be touching the actual glass. Having it on something reflective, like aluminum foil perhaps...might increase the heat somewhat...but I have not tried it and would have to ask further....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts