Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - just got my large Exo-Terra heating mat. Installed it on the bottom of the tank (followed all directions). The mat has been plugged in for 24 hours and I cannot feel it heating at all. I'm talking about actually touching the mat - it is not warm to the touch.

Do I have a defective mat?

- ryan

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes - it is the rainforest mat. I tried it with the back of my hand, as did my wife. It feels exactly the same temp as the wall of the house. :D The house is set at 62f - and this feels that temp. It is not 80 - that's for sure - let alone the 86 it supposedly gets to.

- ryan

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you pleased with the product? Did it sufficiently heat your viv? Or should I be dreaming up another way to keep my bulbophyllum alive?

Thanks for the advice.

- ryan

·
Registered
407 Posts
im assuming that these mats are safe to use around tanks with liquid (misting, water condensation on glass) ? i need something to heat my tanks and always heard that they can crack the glass due to moisture...

jamie

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
According the manufacturers information they are acceptable for this usage. I still wouldn't go about putting them INSIDE the tank though. I rarely mist the outside the tank ;) . These mats go underneath the viv on the outside and are stuck to the glass. The only time you should have to worry about cracking is if you pour cold water (or other liquid) on the hot glass.

If you use a false bottom - with water below then they should actually conduct more heat then just standard substrate (there is a chart on the exo terra page).

- ryan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts