Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone supplement heat too there large verts? If so, what do you use???

I have three 40G breeder verts and im having a hard time getting the temp up. Lighting is 2x T12 and they do minimal. Temp is around 65 which is what i keep my house at.

I threw a heating pad under one and it maybe raised the temp my a degree or two...

Any suggestions??

·
Registered
701 Posts
Compact florescent bulbs do a great job at keeping temps up, dual 26w's could warm up tour tanks a lot but if that fails or you don't have a fixture/bulbs then a regular clamp lamp from HD with a 40w/50w incandescent will do wonders. May i warm you with using heat mats though, if your tank has water where the heat mat is it could crack the glass.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Compact florescent bulbs do a great job at keeping temps up, dual 26w's could warm up tour tanks a lot but if that fails or you don't have a fixture/bulbs then a regular clamp lamp from HD with a 40w/50w incandescent will do wonders. May i warm you with using heat mats though, if your tank has water where the heat mat is it could crack the glass.
I threw a small fixture i had laying around with two 100w equivelent bulbs in it on top of one of the tanks in addition to the t12s, and it did nothing. Not ennough of the heat transfers through the glass...

·
Registered
238 Posts
I use an electric heater on a thermostat in my frog room during the winter, it usually only comes on at night when the lights are off. cooling is a bigger issue for me during the summer. I use mostly T5ho's and they seem to create a lot more heat than even the regular t5's. if you have the 3 tanks side by side, a dual bulb t5ho (48") should do the trick. I think that with a good reflector, you will be pretty happy with the amount of light compaired to the t12's. I dont think that the crazy expensive reef fixtures are necessary, a lot of mine are the remote ballast units from hagen. about $60 i think. you can place the light directly on the glass, but I think that you won't need to .
do you have any open vents for air movement in these tanks? if so, try closing them to contain the heat better.
mike.

·
Registered
238 Posts
what do you use for misting? I don't know if this will do much, but if you have something like a Mist King setup, you could try putting an aquarium heater in the water resevoir? if the misting came on a few times a day, it might help keep the temps a little higher if the tank is sealed well. I have no Idea how much this would help, I haven't ever tried it. just throwing ideas out there? even if it keeps the tank a couple degrees warmer, it might help. I would start off cooler, and work your way up. ?
mike

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just an idea for larger verts rake one if those under aquarium heating pads and place it somewhere in the viv back, side, bottom till you get the right temp it's thin and moveable!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts