Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Heartleaf Plant, Philodendron scandens, but its not growing.
Its odd because its not dying either just seems to be there not growing or dying.
Been where it is now since 2 march 2014.
Substrate is a mix of spaghnam moss, orchid bark and peat moss. I use frog friendly fertiliser every 2 weeks.
No frogs in the viv atm though.
Thanks
James

Its the one on the right hand side on the background

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
P.s. the rest of the tank has grown in since this photo on planting day

·
Registered
181 Posts
Be patient.

Sometimes plants need to get the root system better established before they proceed with vegetative growth, and any time you change the substrate substantially - I'm guessing you went from potting soil to your mix - the plant has to grow whole new roots that function optimally in that new environment.

You might also consider applying an organic stimulant like KelpMax - frog friendly, and really stimulates root growth.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
You should have probably planted it in the substrate so it could establish roots with more access to moisture, that type of plants usually does pretty well as long as it gets plenty of water.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its planted in a pot on the background, with the soil mixture so is constantly wet

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
actually you may be lucky...that type of plant really gets too big for that size viv...you might want to consider one of the small creeping ficus...there are a couple of varieties that might work better...inquiring minds want to know: is that background really pink???

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there is ficus in the back although all of it died apart from one cutting :(. Have added pothos (I know its a bit mental but just thought I would try it). Also got an epiweb module in the middle acting as a branch. Its not that pink in reality its just the light which makes it that way, really just a normal brown background :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts