Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I looked in the fruit fly culture that I just received three days ago and sure enough it has the small pinhead sized clear/white round bodied slow moving mites littering the bottom.

Not happy about it...

SO... what should I do?
Will these harm my frogs/melanogasters?

I just started a culture with the flies from this infected culture, does this mean my new culture is bust too?

:-( not happy!

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
i'd be happy to give you clean CXs of turkish gliders (a better variety anyway)

until then you can try to make new cultures by using a cup of ultrafine supplement and pouring the flies into it. after vigorously shaking the flies in the powder you can use the ones in the TOP of the cup to start a new culture (it may be worth using a few cups of powder and using the top layer of flies from each cup) the mites should MOSTLY be knocked off the flies into the powder. (which is why you should only use those that come off the top. dont pour any supplement into the culture)

make sure you dont keep CXs longer than a month.

james

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the larvae of the mites get on the FFs?

These mites are white/clear...

Just pisses me off I received these from a vender.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
i bet i could guess the vendor too. (of course i wont) there was a vendor that i used to order flies from until all started coming heavily infested with mites (to the point that i was receiving cultures with FAR more mites than flies)

the mites themselves will hitch a ride on the flies.

like i said, the glider cultures are yours (gratis) im just happy to have another frogger in the area (and so darn close!!!!!) i tell people here in AL about the frogs and i get weird looks like why the hell am i not spending all of my free time following alabama football instead.

on that note. ive been needing to order some supplies and would be happy to do a purchase and split shipping. i need to make another 5 gallon bucket of media.

james

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
No the mites aren't dangerous to your frogs. If it were me I would dump and start over. Take the culture james is offering, or order a new culture from a different vendor.

·
Registered
19,348 Posts
Not happy about it...

SO... what should I do?
!

Mites are a fact of life unless you are using sterile aseptic cultures with safeguards. The goal is to manage the mites since it is very difficult to prevent them from getting into the cultures.

Manage them by dusting the flies and starting new cultures with the ones on the top (some supplements accidently falling into the new culture is okay), if using mite paper don't let cultures touch, if you keep cultures more than 30 days keep the older cultures away from cultures under two weeks of age.....

Ed

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just found these same mites in a month-old culture I also purchased from a well-known vendor. The vendor assured me it was normal for this to happen to cultures more than 4 weeks old and that they are harmless to the frogs, but because mites freak me out and I'd like to have cultures that produce flies for more than a month, here is what I did.

1. Poured as many of the flies from this culture as possible into a newly-made culture cup. (Should have done the powder method, but didn't)
2. Threw out old mite-infested culture.
3. Keeping this culture and one I made a week ago using some flies from the old culture in a segregated place and plan to throw them away when they finish producing and won't be making any new cultures using these flies.
4. Just ordered 2 producing cultures and 3 fresh cultures, and 20 Mite-free lids from SE Fruit Flies, who guarantees mite free cultures and has a coupon for free shipping right now as a New Years special. Just enter FREEME in the promotional code box when checking out.
5. Purchased mite spray from petsmart and 2 sterilite containers with locking lids. I will be keeping the new fly cultures in these containers lined with paper towels sprayed with the mite spray, and with a cup filled with wet paper towels to help with humidity. One container will be for cultures less than 3 weeks and the other for those older than 3 weeks.
6. Once these cultures prove to be mite-free for more than a month I will only use these flies in future cultures and will be making my own media to avoid any possibility of "importing" mites from other sources and essentially keeping a "closed herd" of fruit flies in my apartment.

Now because this plan hasn't been proven successful yet, you'll have to take it with a grain of salt, but I thought I'd at least share the ideas I came up with to deal with the same problem you're having. Good luck to us both! :D

·
Registered
19,348 Posts
How do you plan to exclude mites from the materials used to make the cultures? That is one of the major routes of transference into the cultures...

In reality, over the longer term, you can't avoid mites, you can only manage them unless you are going to go through the effort and expense to demite the flies under a microscope before starting new cultures...

Also people should keep in mind that mites can be transported by a sufficiently strong air current....

Ed

·
Registered
596 Posts
How do you plan to exclude mites from the materials used to make the cultures? That is one of the major routes of transference into the cultures...

In reality, over the longer term, you can't avoid mites, you can only manage them unless you are going to go through the effort and expense to demite the flies under a microscope before starting new cultures...

Also people should keep in mind that mites can be transported by a sufficiently strong air current....

Ed
Totall agree......you can spend all that time, money, and effort and still have mites. Or you can just keep the older cultures farther away. This method works fine for me......and costs nothing. I keep my cultures for 2months in the winter....

·
Registered
759 Posts
Do a search, and READ. This has been gone over thousands of times...:eek:

So I looked in the fruit fly culture that I just received three days ago and sure enough it has the small pinhead sized clear/white round bodied slow moving mites littering the bottom.

Not happy about it...

SO... what should I do?
Will these harm my frogs/melanogasters?

I just started a culture with the flies from this infected culture, does this mean my new culture is bust too?

:-( not happy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts