Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm getting back into the hobby after being out for 2-3 years and it seems like prices on most things, but especially frogs, have gone up significantly since I last made any purchases. Has anyone else felt this way too? If its true, what is the explanation behind this? If anything, with this lousy economy, I would have imagined that nonessential things - aka hobbys - would have gotten cheaper since people have less disposable income and therefore money to spend on frogs ( and other critters - with reptiles, though prices havent gone up, they havent gone down either ).

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
I would say not at all, there is a much bigger species list to work with now and obviously newer frogs cost more and there has been advancement in caging but all in all standard stuff costs the same or less. Most Tincs are $50 or less and the same with several other species, rare thumbs are on $75ish unless they are new and then they can go for $125 - $300 depending on species but even then the price comes down fairly quickly. Pums are usually around $100 which if CB and acclimated are well worth it. Better technology costs more but it soon comes down in price.
The only things that are real expensive are very rare frogs, and most will always be that way.

·
Administrator
8,720 Posts
Most everything but shipping has gone down.

I am amused to see people selling plant cuttings that I'd rather compost than give away though. I only have one or two plants like that at the moment - but the general attitude (with some people ... ) seems to be, if you can make a nickel on something, make that nickel!

I've given away more plants/insects than I've ever sold.

s

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just remember buying leucs at $20-25 and tincs for $30-40 and now I see them both going for $50 and upwards. I also notice all the localities being tacked on so don't know if this new emphasis on maintaining localities has something to do with it or what. I can't speak for everything else such as plants, supplies, etc but frogs definately seem more expensive than when i was last keeping them.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
It also depends on the popularity cycle... some frogs are more expensive than when they were at the bottom of the cycle.. the tricolor/anthyoni group is one that is more expensive than when it was at the bottom of a cycle (they were running less than $15 at a couple of points). So it could simply be when you got out versus where it is on the popularity scale. As a further factor, many people now keep the frogs until they've been out of the water for a longer period before selling them. This will produce a higher quality frog but at a slightly elevated price compared to one right out of the water....

Ed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts