Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone used Toadshade Trillium (Trillium cuneatum and sessile) in their vivariums? it is a medicinal wildflower so im guessing it would be safe for darts? i live in TN in a heavily wooded area (deciduous forests), so many of the plants found around springs and cliffsides here live in ideal conditions for a rainforest terrarium (wet, humid and temperate). i plan to add Dwarf Crested Iris (Iris cristata) and two types of wild fern that i have collected.
any advice would be appreciated. thanks ~Lauren

·
Registered
369 Posts
Lauren,

Ideal terarrium conditions are not wet, humid and temperate. Terarrium conditions are tropical, there is no temperature induced dormancy. And under those conditions none of the plants you listed will do well. Well, the ferns might, but they would need to be started from spore in the viv. Some ferns are very tolerable of various environmental conditions, but I find many of these don't acclimate well after transplanting.

Jay

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi jay,
yes i know very well that there is no tempeture induced dormacy in terrariums and i am very familiar with tropical conditions. i meant mild temperatures when i said "temperate" you know like low to mid 70s (im talking about the conditions i need for this terrarium for the dart frogs)? i have had ferns do well in terrariums so far as well as the iris.
do you know anything about the trilliums as pertains to their safety with darts?? that was my main concern. thanks, ~Lauren

1 - 3 of 3 Posts