Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm researching breeding dart frogs and I happen to have an extra cycled 3 gallon aquarium with only a snail in it. Is there any reason I couldn't raise tadpoles in this aquarium? Any tips from anyone who has tried it?

·
Super Moderator
2,211 Posts
The main risk I can think of is pathogens from the plants, snail, etc. How big of a risk this would be, I have no idea.

I use 4gallon bins for my communal tadpoles washed and sterilized between batches of tadpoles. (Not all tadpoles are communal)

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Just be careful w with the pull. Even if safeguarded with a sponge they can get attracted to the biofilm etc and get stuck. I did pia tedious manual changes per teeny caudate larvae. Not dendros tho

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've raised terribilis tads in a small 2.5 gallon, very basic aquarium.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm researching breeding dart frogs and I happen to have an extra cycled 3 gallon aquarium with only a snail in it. Is there any reason I couldn't raise tadpoles in this aquarium? Any tips from anyone who has tried it?

View attachment 299024

I am currently raising several rantimeya variabilis with no ill effects at all. I keep them fed and actually have them in there with plenty of plants and no filter(I have Cherry shrimp helping keep the water clean). But was finding the filter kept sucking all my Almond bark leaf tannin out of the water so just stopped running it and they love it. In fact it two is a 3 gallon one and they all seem to live well together with no cannibalism. SOOOOOO much easier than individual damn cups. To be fair though I only add tads after about 2-3 weeks in the cup first so they grow a bit(just in case).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Depends on what type of tadpole, but if they can be raised communally, I see no reason why it would not work. Do you have a filter?
Yes, I do have a filter. I test the water regularly and use reconstituted RO water (I have three other aquariums), so I'm pretty confident the water will be good.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I am currently raising several rantimeya variabilis with no ill effects at all. I keep them fed and actually have them in there with plenty of plants and no filter(I have Cherry shrimp helping keep the water clean). But was finding the filter kept sucking all my Almond bark leaf tannin out of the water so just stopped running it and they love it. In fact it two is a 3 gallon one and they all seem to live well together with no cannibalism. SOOOOOO much easier than individual damn cups. To be fair though I only add tads after about 2-3 weeks in the cup first so they grow a bit(just in case).
That would be the activated carbon. There's carbon in many premade filter cartridges, and it removes things from the water. Great if you suspect toxin contamination, bad for tannins. Anyone wanting to run a filter on a tank without pulling the tannins out, check the insides- if there's little black pebble-looking things in the media, that's carbon. It'll also remove medications from a tank.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is what I'm thinking of doing with my ranitomeya varadero. What is your process up until the point of putting them in the aquarium? When do you pull them from the vivarium?

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is what I'm thinking of doing with my ranitomeya varadero. What is your process up until the point of putting them in the aquarium? When do you pull them from the vivarium?
Like I said I give them a couple weeks in a cup first. Couple reasons for this. First I do not want something super tiny in with bigger tads in case they decide on being cannibalistic(No, it has not happened....I count every week when I cycle out some water). But I think the fact that I keep them well fed and have lots of resting places and hiding spots help. These guys are not the strongest swimmers so the younger ones like to stay closer to the surface or hang out on the leaves of my floating plants at times. No, none have drowned, they can literally attach to the sides of the tanks or even float right below the surface but they seem to appreciate floating by or under the plants for coverage. They eat less once the back legs pop but as soon as their front legs pop out I remove them. put them in separate deli cups with some water and leave at a slant in my grow out tank so they can finish absorbing their tail and take steps onto dry land.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Like I said I give them a couple weeks in a cup first. Couple reasons for this. First I do not want something super tiny in with bigger tads in case they decide on being cannibalistic(No, it has not happened....I count every week when I cycle out some water). But I think the fact that I keep them well fed and have lots of resting places and hiding spots help. These guys are not the strongest swimmers so the younger ones like to stay closer to the surface or hang out on the leaves of my floating plants at times. No, none have drowned, they can literally attach to the sides of the tanks or even float right below the surface but they seem to appreciate floating by or under the plants for coverage. They eat less once the back legs pop but as soon as their front legs pop out I remove them. put them in separate deli cups with some water and leave at a slant in my grow out tank so they can finish absorbing their tail and take steps onto dry land.

All sorts of threads in here on raising in cups that are super detailed so won't go into that. But the cups I raise them in have a little java moss and some almond bark leaf pieces so they hang out and grow a bit in that tadpole tea. My tank is the same brown color filled with tannins and pretty much matches my cups so as soon as I dump the tads in, there is no adjustment period...they just go and start to grow. The bigger tads do not even attack my Cherry shrimp....they all seem to just get along so works well for me..

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All sorts of threads in here on raising in cups that are super detailed so won't go into that. But the cups I raise them in have a little java moss and some almond bark leaf pieces so they hang out and grow a bit in that tadpole tea. My tank is the same brown color filled with tannins and pretty much matches my cups so as soon as I dump the tads in, there is no adjustment period...they just go and start to grow. The bigger tads do not even attack my Cherry shrimp....they all seem to just get along so works well for me..
Thanks. But do you pull the eggs from the viv as soon as you see them, or wait until they are tadpoles? I've read that ranitomeya take care of their own tadpoles pretty well?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks. But do you pull the eggs from the viv as soon as you see them, or wait until they are tadpoles? I've read that ranitomeya take care of their own tadpoles pretty well?
Indeed they do, waiting until they hatch can be tricky as the males are fairly attentive and start to move them to their own areas early on. So wait at your own risk. I have waited too long at times and they have gotten moved. So I try to remove the clutch of eggs and then separate the tadpoles as they hatch.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I've read that ranitomeya take care of their own tadpoles pretty well?
Only a small number of Ranitomeya are facultative egg feeders. Meaning most of them don't take care of them.

Your always best of pulling eggs

If you want to raise tadpoles in an aquarium, you should raise tadpolespecies that are found in pudles or streams of running water in situ.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks. I assume Varaderos are not found in puddles or streams in situ? Not sure where to look that up.

I gather best practice even with Ranitomeya is to place film canisters and pull the eggs as soon as I see them? Then keep them in a petri dish until they are tapoles, at which point I should keep them in separate cups? I tried to do research on here, but it seems like different people take different approaches.

·
Super Moderator
3,787 Posts
Unless a person wants to maximize froglet numbers beyond their natural output of offspring, letting the parents raise the tads is the way to go with imitator and the other eggfeeders.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts