Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I used those for aquatic frogs and fish. I'm not 100% sure, but the tads will most likely eat only a part of each pellet and spit out the rest...they seem to like some of it, but not all of it.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I personally never get any frogging stuff @ petco ,as I don't believe that they carry good products for our hobbie and or would know what a good product is . As for cats and dogs they are ok . :shock:
Darren

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
That stuff messes up the water so bad when its not eaten, its basically the same as betta pellets. High meat/protein may or may not go over well with tads. I've had much better luck with flakes, easier for the tads to see and eat.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am hoping to get some groups of a number of things to start testing to see what does best. I just don't think the standard algea mix is enough for them. I have noticed less problems and larger tads with fish food, but maybe there is something even better.

Does anyone else use anything different than the standard algea and if so how is it going?

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any of the foods will do that if you over feed. But I do regular water changes and only put in a couple tabs. I have about 5 different things I plan to try and see what does best.

KeroKero said:
That stuff messes up the water so bad when its not eaten, its basically the same as betta pellets. High meat/protein may or may not go over well with tads. I've had much better luck with flakes, easier for the tads to see and eat.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Petco was just the link I found its not where I got it. :)

Darren Meyer said:
I personally never get any frogging stuff @ petco ,as I don't believe that they carry good products for our hobbie and or would know what a good product is . As for cats and dogs they are ok . :shock:
Darren

·
Registered
448 Posts
I started using that stuff on some of my tads that should be pushing out their front legs any time now. I will let you know if it helps.
ADAM

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I use this for tads and it works pretty well but I would like to know what kind of flakes that people are useing I have never tired flakes and may want to switch.....reason being that if tads do not eat all it makes the water milky

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Its a matter of practice to figure out how big a flake (or part of) a tad will eat. After working at petsmart I tested a number of fish flakes on tads, the wide variety of fish flakes available are great for tailoring to specific tad needs (some are more veggie lovers, some like more protien like thumbs). There are flakes made mostly of sprulina and the like (compare brands, a lot have fillers so it might be better to make your own) and also some more for mosquito larvae lovers (like livebearer food).

One of the things I don't like about the tadpole pellets is that they are pellets... if a tad only eats part of a flake and a pellet is like a couple flakes condensed its more food than the smaller tads will eat in a sitting. It may work for larger tads if the recognize it as food. The brand is also not one that I'm fond of, so I wouldn't use it for that reason too, when I have better quality fish flakes (some are also in pellet form) from companies I like better.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Kyle,
I have used them as part of a combination of feeding including fish flakes. I try to make them a little smaller by grinding them with my fingers together with the fish flakes. They are soft but it generally works well. I think that you do have to do more water changes but if you do not have too many tadpoles, then it is not so bad. I agree that the algae mix itself may not be enough.
Jeff

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hey Kyle,
I've been using frozen daphnia for many of my tads for about a year now. It's a little less convenient since you have to keep it frozen, but I like it since it's a very natural food for tads, it's high in protein, and it doesn't seem to foul the water as quickly as high-protein fish food. I also use freeze-dried daphnia when I'm in a pinch, and it works well too. I also supplement with a little algae mix in every feeding as well.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks rob, this seems like about the same stuff. I am hoping to setup some tests with multiple types of food to see what does best. I think a number of things will work, but what produces the largest heathiest froglets?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts