Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
851 Posts
Harlequin = varied color or decoration

This is the common name for oophaga histrionicus which oophaga sylvatica broke off from.

Harlequin dart definitely describes them well as they are by far the sweetest species in the hobby.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
827 Posts
I love that first picture. I have a statue I'm finishing prototype for tonight entitled "oophaga." This first one is two frogs on a log. A blue jean pumilio and a histo, probably bulls eye red or maybe this one on top. I'm going to eventually release all the frogs in the genus as a two frog statue for the oophaga side project...Also, I want to do a few different special edition morph combos. Blue jeans was a no brainer as nothing screams pumilio or dart frogs like it....but for histo, it's been tricky trying to figure out which color morph to go with it. Something that contrasts well with the blue jeans.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Don't forget that Dendrobates is still going to be the listed name in all of the older literature...

Ed

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So i did a little more research which landed me on the IUCN Species Program (International Union for Conservation of Nature) web site, and I came upon a similar frog:

This is Oophaga lehmanni, Lehmann's Poison Frog. Both frogs are from the same region, but Lehmann's frog is considered critically endangered. Also, Lötters (1992b) doubted the distinction of this species from Oophaga histrionica, according to the IUCN website.

So are they both the same species?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
So those are histos rather than lehmanni?

Edit - Sorry, I didn't see the second page before responding. Either way, the orange and black banded are one of my favorites of all darts.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts