Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, an associate of mine is opening a garden supply store soon and he and i were talking about all of the hard to find garden/terrarium supplies that we always have to find online and pay for shipping. He asked if i could compile a list of supplies that most stores dont carry but would sell well locally.
LECA clay pellets are an example of what i am looking for.
If you guys could add to the list with things that you would like to be able to purchase locally but have a hard tim finding, i would greatly appreciate it!

·
Administrator
8,733 Posts
Coco Panel
Tree Fern Root Plaques
Ground Tree Fern Root
Orchid Bark (the smallest size, not the big @ss size like Home Depot has)
GOOD Sphagnum Moss (New Zealand/Chilean)
Ground Sphagnum Moss (often called damp off or seed starter)

I'm sure I'll think of more.

s

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I don't think you really need ground tree fern root. Just take the panels outside, lay them on a sheet, and pound the crap out of them with a sledgehammer.

·
Administrator
8,733 Posts
Don't know if you're joking or not, but Ground Tree Fern Root is an integral part of the ABG soil mix.

Not much left to use after "pounding the crap" out of it.

It's also normally a bit less expensive than actual plaques.

s
Arklier said:
I don't think you really need ground tree fern root. Just take the panels outside, lay them on a sheet, and pound the crap out of them with a sledgehammer.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Personally, I don't care if it's in the Atlanta Biological mix. All the tree fern panels I've worked with have been very brittle. You hit it with a hammer, and I can guarantee you it will break into little pieces just as if it had been ground (which is probably basically the same as what they do by 'grinding' it anyway). Heck, most of the stuff you can just break by crumbling it in your hands.

·
Administrator
8,733 Posts
Very clueless.

Since I have tried to do as you are recommending (have you?), I can say don't bother.

I needed some Ground Tree Fern Root and all I had was Ground Tree Fern Root "cubes" (about 1" square). Cause between the stuff flying this way 'n that - you lose most of what you start with. And I was starting a lot smaller than a full plaque. And what you do end up with is not fine enough.

So unless you really know what it's used for - I'd hazard recommendations against carrying it.

s

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Scott said:
Very clueless.

Since I have tried to do as you are recommending (have you?), I can say don't bother.

I needed some Ground Tree Fern Root and all I had was Ground Tree Fern Root "cubes" (about 1" square). Cause between the stuff flying this way 'n that - you lose most of what you start with. And I was starting a lot smaller than a full plaque. And what you do end up with is not fine enough.

So unless you really know what it's used for - I'd hazard recommendations against carrying it.

s
Yes, I have. And I ended up with what Black Jungle was advertising as ground tree fern: a bunch of 2"-3" fern fiber sticks. And did you miss the part where I said lay them down on a sheet? It worked out fine.

·
Administrator
8,733 Posts
Order if from OFE where you can get finely ground Tree Fern Root, not 2" - 3" pieces. It comes in pieces 1/4" to 1/2" that way.

And if you can get 4 Cubic feet of it by pounding it with a sledgehammer - go for it. That's how much I've ordered at a time.

I'd hate to see what the sidewalk/driveway looks like after that.

s
Arklier said:
Yes, I have. And I ended up with what Black Jungle was advertising as ground tree fern: a bunch of 2"-3" fern fiber sticks. And did you miss the part where I said lay them down on a sheet? It worked out fine.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Also try Calwest http://www.orchid-supplies.com/potting_supplies.html

I've always ordered from OFE but have recently discovered that Rolanka sells their fine grade fiber at about 1/3 the price of OFE. Haven't made an order yet but at 14.00 for 2CF I'll give it a try.

·
Administrator
8,733 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! I'm truly sick of OFE's (lack of) service.

I've ordered coco husk chips from Rolanka so I'll check them out for Ground TFR also.

Thanks!

s
edwardsatc said:
Also try Rolanka http://www.orchid-supplies.com/potting_supplies.html

I've always ordered from OFE but have recently discovered that Rolanka sells their fine grade fiber at about 1/3 the price of OFE. Haven't made an order yet but at 14.00 for 2CF I'll give it a try.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts