Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two male standard imis that grew up together from young froglets, they are now about two years old. Never had any problems with them. I wanted them to have a female so recently i beefed up on the film canisters and made a few pods for laying and rearing sites all together like 8 artificial sites coupled with the broms in the tank. I hoped the multitude of laying spots would keep them from getting aggressive. Yesterday i introduced a female to their 20g vert. I know how imis can be so i watched them real close for signs of aggression. At first they only seemed interested in her, and boy were they interested. They followed her around non stop calling their fool heads off for like three hours before lights out. I actually wondered for a min because i heard so many calls if she was a he. That was how it was last night and early today. This afternoon when i got home the mood was different. One was stalking the other by calls. He would call and when the other did he would hop him down call by call. I saw twice that they would actually wrap up and wrestle. The second time i opened the tank and grabbed at them to separate, they did not even see me coming or did not care. I put the one i caught in a new tank i have been planting and acclimating and boy was he pissed. He stared right at me, i could see it in his eyes. And he should be, I grabbed the alpha, the chaser not the chased. He had that piece won lol. Just another example that imitators males, even ones that grew up together will fight in smaller tanks when females are present. Monogamous frogs gotta love it, the article was right.

·
Registered
106 Posts
How were the two guys before you introduced the female. I've got two male Veraderos in a fairly small tank but I haven't really seen any aggression. Could they potentially live happily together for life as long as I don't introduce any girlies?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
you know i did not even think to video it, but they would of let me do it. I was looking for signs if it was aggressive or just competitive, did not cross my mind damn. In any case, as i said they lived together for two years without any apparent problem. but within hours with a female they wanted to fight. Lucky i had a backup tank ready. If you dont, i would not introduce your pair to a female Regalia but they should be fine in there. just watch them, mine was very obvious but i doubt it is always so. caught em rolling around on the leaf litter brawlin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts