Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We went to a Reptiland today, and this viv gave me the chance to explain to my kids why I myself, and others feel mixing isn't right. **MY PERSONAL OPINION AND BELIEF**

They had Leucomelas, Azureus, Auratus, Mint terribilis and Tincs in this viv together. We saw another enclosure with a viper, where there was a mint terribilis, auratus and leuc inside as well. I'm guessing they were to be the vipers meal?

Anyhow, it opened up a good opportunity for me to talk to them about the issues with mixing, and why I wont do it. I did feel bad for all those frogs though.

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
Well, if you`ve been following a few other threads here lately apparently(not by me) it`s ok to do this now.
Although, I will say you always see these tanks in zoo`s, more for show than anything else.

John

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:(
Well, if you`ve been following a few other threads here lately apparently(not by me) it`s ok to do this now.
Although, I will say you always see these tanks in zoo`s, more for show than anything else.

John
I've seen them, dont generally comment on them. I had never seen a mixed tank like this one before. I heard the comments from people about how colorful it was with the different frogs. I have an aquaintence who hasn't commented on my vivs at all, but she saw one with Azureus and Leucomelas together and went gaga over it.
Like I said, I saw it as a good opportunity to explain my views, and feelings on it. Hopefully I dont regret posting this.....

·
Registered
483 Posts
Don't regret posting!

Please share with us how you explained to your children about your personal views of mixing.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
When I first got into this hobby, like many others, I liked the mixed tanks. But now, I personally like the tanks with just 1 species in it. Everything else just looks unnatural and weird lol. Good job for explaining your opinion to your kids, and as stated above, you should not regret posting this thread.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm not a 100% sure, but that snake appears to be a eyelash viper. They typically won't eat Dendrobatids. A zoo I worked at housed them with auratus and never had any predation. Everyone is entitled to there opinion. I don't do mixed species at home but have done it at zoos that I have worked at. Often times in zoos they have very limited exhibit space and are trying to educate the public about deforestation of Rainforests. Again I don't mix at home, but unless you are fully educated about other situations I don't think it's fair to judge.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't regret posting!

Please share with us how you explained to your children about your personal views of mixing.
I didnt go into much detail with them. Just made sure to let them know that having frogs like that all in one tank may look nice, but it can be stressful to the frogs, any offspring they have could end up with someone who either intentionally or accidentally breeds them and "pollutes' the blood line. I tried to keep it simple for them, because to me it is. They dont breed in the wild that we've seen, so it doesnt make sense to breed them or give them the chance to do so in captivity. I'm the same way with all animals though. Somethings just dont make sense to me, so I dont do it. Sorry, responding from my cell phone while tired lol

·
Registered
483 Posts
I think that was an excellent way to explain it to them.

Did they seem to understand? I do not know how old your children are.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not a 100% sure, but that snake appears to be a eyelash viper. They typically won't eat Dendrobatids. A zoo I worked at housed them with auratus and never had any predation. Everyone is entitled to there opinion. I don't do mixed species at home but have done it at zoos that I have worked at. Often times in zoos they have very limited exhibit space and are trying to educate the public about deforestation of Rainforests. Again I don't mix at home, but unless you are fully educated about other situations I don't think it's fair to judge.
I said I felt bad for the frogs... They were jumping and falling all over each other. It was a small reptile zoo. Thats good to know the frogs didnt seem to beon the vipers menu. I did tell my son that that was just a way of life though. Preditor and prey. The staff there was good, exibits were nice. They did have the mints labeled as golden terribilis though.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think that was an excellent way to explain it to them.

Did they seem to understand? I do not know how old your children are.
They did. My boys are 10 and 7. Our daughter is almost 4 and didnt seem to notice anything. The 10 year old is more curious about everything than the other two, and very opinionated as well as outspoken. I was glad he didnt go question the employees!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would totally agree that it can be very stressful on the frogs. Especially with over crowded conditions. The mixed species exhibit that I maintained while working at zoos were not over crowded and never let species hybridize. Great shots by the way.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts

John
No.... In a very few select situations it may be alright to do this.... But after those few exceptions it's still not. This is still the general feeling of most. However, people have gotten sick of seeing these posts every other week and many have simply stopped fighting the vocal minority mixers....

·
Registered
873 Posts
I guess mixing snakes and dart frogs is becoming pretty popular at zoos. I remember seeing something on a frog board in the last year or two of an enclosure that had some species of python or boa with pumilio.

My local zoo recently tried adding azureus into a enclosure with an eyelash viper. The eyelash viper ate the frogs and all animals died.

I guess it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.

·
Registered
904 Posts
The only issue I see with that Smackofthegods is the less we speak up the more it will occur. It happens in ALL situations. The minority start speaking up and the majority gets fed up and quiets out. Then slowly they start to switch roles and by the time the old majority realizes it, it has become to late. We need to kick this in the ASS before it starts occurring. We have let it happen in all walks of life from Government to lizards to video games. If we don't stand up for what we believe in then it will be to late.

Zoo's create these eco-systems with a vast amount of data and from my understandings kill ALL offspring. Even then if something can X-Breed then they shouldn't be mixed period. They will slowly start diluting our hobby until nothing of corrupted bloodlines are left in the wake.

The saying, "Monkey see, Monkey do" is all to often followed in our current, modern, society but alas should be placed aside for what's right and not what everyone else does. Just because you see an institution mixing mantella's and dart frogs does not me you have the capacity to attempt something that is harmful to a multitude of things.

I guess what I am saying is, don't do something just because you see someone else doing it but rather ask the REASON'S why it should or shouldn't be done to make up your own mind. And just because its tiring doesn't mean you shouldn't quiet up but rather push through the questions of people who are new or just wish to do as they want. Enlighten them and if they still wish to do it then just don't converse with them.

Sorry for my rant I just wish more people would research rather then just do what others do.

Reactions: WendySHall

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would totally agree that it can be very stressful on the frogs. Especially with over crowded conditions. The mixed species exhibit that I maintained while working at zoos were not over crowded and never let species hybridize. Great shots by the way.
We tried to count the frogs, and I believe we were at 12. All the frogs seemed to want to crowed together in the front right corner, except for one little auratus.
TY for the pic complements! I got a couple of what I'm guessing was a female mint terriilis as well.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The only issue I see with that Smackofthegods is the less we speak up the more it will occur. It happens in ALL situations. The minority start speaking up and the majority gets fed up and quiets out. Then slowly they start to switch roles and by the time the old majority realizes it, it has become to late. We need to kick this in the ASS before it starts occurring. We have let it happen in all walks of life from Government to lizards to video games. If we don't stand up for what we believe in then it will be to late.

Zoo's create these eco-systems with a vast amount of data and from my understandings kill ALL offspring. Even then if something can X-Breed then they shouldn't be mixed period. They will slowly start diluting our hobby until nothing of corrupted bloodlines are left in the wake.

The saying, "Monkey see, Monkey do" is all to often followed in our current, modern, society but alas should be placed aside for what's right and not what everyone else does. Just because you see an institution mixing mantella's and dart frogs does not me you have the capacity to attempt something that is harmful to a multitude of things.

I guess what I am saying is, don't do something just because you see someone else doing it but rather ask the REASON'S why it should or shouldn't be done to make up your own mind. And just because its tiring doesn't mean you shouldn't quiet up but rather push through the questions of people who are new or just wish to do as they want. Enlighten them and if they still wish to do it then just don't converse with them.

Sorry for my rant I just wish more people would research rather then just do what others do.
That culling of the potential off spring was another thing we talked about. We spent some time looking for eggs in the enclosure, and saw none, no tads either. So we were hoping that they are taking care of it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts