Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that travel to PDF habitat to research, here are some studies I would love to see:
Water analysis...rainwater, and tad deposition sites (pH, hardness, what minerals are present, in what amounts and any micro-organisms present)

Daily temp highs and lows...I know you can find the temps of just about anywhere online, but I highly doubt there are official reading sites under forest canopy.

Daily UV penetration into habitat, weekly might give a better idea of what the animals actually receive.

Soil analysis (for areas where frogs might be eating mainly soil oganisms)

If I forgot anything, chime in!

If the above areas have already been researched well, please post it, or let me know where I need to look.
Thanks all!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hi,
Here's some meteorological data i found online:
http://www.ots.ac.cr/en/laselva/metereological.shtml
it's from La Selva research station in Costa Rica...
TONS of D. pumilio there...
as for the other stuff, I have some pH data and a very limited amount of temperature data also from La Selva, but I'll have to try to find it on another computer...
SOrry I couldn't help more...
~Ben

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I agree with Brian that you can't rely on met data much. I use to run and manage a research met station and the protocol calls for placing the instrumentation in full sunlight and away from structures that obstruct the wind. That's a very different environment from where the frogs are found. In fact, I think you would have to take numerous readings specifically where you see frogs. No doubt they choose microhabitats according to their needs which may be only a few cm apart.

That said. I think it was Ed Smith who lectured about the azureus expeditions and commented that whenever he finds PDF he throws a thermometer on the ground and it always seems to read right about 80F.

I believe there is some water chemistry stuff published too but don't have the citations.

G

·
Well in a few weeks I will be heading to Peru and I plan on taking a temp/humidy gauge with me to measure levels where I find frogs.
I haven't really thought about the other stuff you mentioned, but will have to think about what else I could do.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Bgreen said:
Well in a few weeks I will be heading to Peru and I plan on taking a temp/humidy gauge with me to measure levels where I find frogs.
I haven't really thought about the other stuff you mentioned, but will have to think about what else I could do.
Take the temps of any tad bearing phytotelmata if you can. I'm pretty sure pH, DOC, etc. have been published for some species but don't have citations. It would also be nice to have some qualitative observations about the amount of organic matter found with the tads and any living cohabitants. Also estimates of volume and configuration would be cool.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts