Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read somewhere that you actually need a water portion to keep the frogs happy. I was planning on haveing a water fall, just for decoration and to keep the humidity up, not for them to sit in. For that I was just going to have a water dish. I learn't from my red-eye tree frogs that it was much easier to have a water dish and change that every day than to have a water-fall and spend forever changing the water twice a weak.

Therefore my question is, is there a problem by having a small water dish (like 2 in. circumference) or do I have to figure out some way to change the flow of the water fall and have an actual water section as aposed my original closed system (closed to the frogs that is)?

Thanks

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
A water feature is not needed as long as the humidity is high enough. If this is your first tank it may be best to skip the water feature and keep it simple. You can use a small dish or even a lowered corner in the substrate to make a small pool. A dish or small container is very easy to remove and clean.

furizzl said:
I recently read somewhere that you actually need a water portion to keep the frogs happy. I was planning on haveing a water fall, just for decoration and to keep the humidity up, not for them to sit in. For that I was just going to have a water dish. I learn't from my red-eye tree frogs that it was much easier to have a water dish and change that every day than to have a water-fall and spend forever changing the water twice a weak.

Therefore my question is, is there a problem by having a small water dish (like 2 in. circumference) or do I have to figure out some way to change the flow of the water fall and have an actual water section as aposed my original closed system (closed to the frogs that is)?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Why would you need to change the water twice a week? My tank has been set up for 6 months and I haven't had to do a full water change yet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
h2o

I read somewhere about the pH KH and GH - I can't find where I read it and what it was about. I think something to the effect that the pH needs to be 6.6-6.8. Has anyone heard of this? I know my pH was around 5.6 for now... I have a new tank, just a month old and working on slowly raising it to 6.6 or so... any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I don't know, I've never tested my ph. I also have never changed my water in the two tanks that have water features. I have aquatic plants in them, and they act as a natural filter. I add water as needed when the level gets low, but that is is. Most water features in our dart tanks are going to take on a brownish color, and that is from the tannins leaching out of the substrate. that is a good thing. That also means your ph is high. So a viv done right really needs very little maintenance.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
So a viv done right really needs very little maintenance.
Bravo! Exactly. From what I've been exposed to, most people set their tanks up and then leave them alone, aside from the occasional maintaince of plants or water drainage. My water features get siphoned off, that's it. No change, no pH testing, nothing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts