Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, does anyone have advise on setups?
Had a few clutches last year, and lost all tads at various stages. More againtoday, so looking for tadpole rearing advice.

Thanks all

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Thomas.

Had seen the article, but trying to work out best methods as know a few people rearing different ways.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Gotcha. No, I have no experience raising tadpoles, so I am of little use in that respect.

If you happen to have success with the tads, please PM me. If you are interested in selling any, I would definitely like to buy.

Thomas

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's been a while but I currently have over 100 valerioi tads that are getting big, active, and thriving.

Initially I tried a stream setup:

But I found that they actually seem to thrive in a more simple shoebox setup where each clutch is in a separate shoebox, about 30-35 tadpoles per box.

Setup is simple:
I use a cheap, shoebox style tupperware. I add a thin layer of aquarium substrate (I used a gravel mix with flora max), treated tap water (some minerals seem to be good as opposed to RO), added a bit of pre-started algae (I keep a cup of algae growing under the lights on my rack), some indian almond leaves for tannins and a snack, and some live plant clippings. The most important thing I found was Oxygenation. I use a pump and air stone. They do need some light and seem to like current, but pumps are trouble and the air stone seems to move things along perfectly. I just keep them at room temp plus lights so low 70s... I suspect 76 is perfect but doesn't seem to matter enough to use a heater.

Feeding... I use a special mix I pulverize into a fine powder. It's just equal parts tropical fish flakes, algae bites, and high protein Newt Bites. I also give them occasional flies and fly escapees tend to find their way into the water on their own too.

One behavior I've noticed is that they hide under the substrate for the first week at least. Don't panic and just keep feeding. They swim upstream instinctually so using a turkey baster is not really functional for moving them and dumping them out of a small cup seems to constantly leave them stranded and they need an extra rinse. If you use a pump, they seem to find their way into it. I found placing the leaf partially into the water and misting occasionally seemed to be the best way to get them to hatch into the shoebox setup. The shoebox aquariums seem to be a winner.

I feel like I should knock on wood but I don't seem to have lost any yet from the little setups... hopefully this helps.

Boyd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts