Dendroboard banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Dendroboard! I'd like to show you guys the progress of my rack over the past year and a half. I finally got it to where I'd like it to be so its time that I share it with you all! I'm going to show you my rack progress from when I started in this hobby to where I am today.

So here is my rack when I first set it up in August of 2010...ugly

Here is a picture of my rack about 3 months ago...unorganized

Last, this is what my rack looks like now...clean

I know that you guys have probably seen this set-up before, but I'm proud of it so I wanted to share. So as far as the tank specs go, the top four tanks are all 10 gal verts. The tanks on the top row are all connected with the Mistking pump. The bottom three tanks are 20 gal highs. I know the pictures aren't the best, but all I have available is my iPhone. Some of the tanks need a little more time to grow in, but let me know what you guys think!

-Chris

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I've pretty much peaked at where I was hoping for my rack to be at this stage haha. I'm going to have to hold off on starting my next rack until I buy a house though. I'm renting an apartment right now and moving this rack is going to be a task in itself :eek: I'd like to eventually have an entire room dedicated to my frogs...one day haha I'll try and post a video of everything. I've got more tanks and a bunch of other stuff going on in my closet, this is just my rack. I'll get a vid and post it on this thread when I get a chance.

-Chris

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, I hated having multiple hoods for the lights. I had way too many wires before. Now its simple with the two light strips! Simple and effective :cool:

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Nice rack Chris ;) haha. Can you explain how you have the lids for your 20H tanks? Can we get a close up picture too? I always liked lids like that. My tank lids look like crap! I want to make those haha.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice rack Chris ;) haha. Can you explain how you have the lids for your 20H tanks? Can we get a close up picture too? I always liked lids like that. My tank lids look like crap! I want to make those haha.
Sure, Its pretty simple. I just got two pieces of glass cut at lowes to the size that would fit inside of the rim of the tank. I then just used black electrical tape to create a hinge. Last, I used these things called micro hooks as tiny handles. I'll get a close up picture later tonight so you can see the lid in detail. The total cost for each lid is under $15.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Very nice racks, I have a similar set-up with Home Depot shop lites for my emersed plant set-up, it is nice to turn on or off one light per shelve. They are addictive and easy to fill with tanks though, lol...

Len

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very nice racks, I have a similar set-up with Home Depot shop lites for my emersed plant set-up, it is nice to turn on or off one light per shelve. They are addictive and easy to fill with tanks though, lol...

Len
Yea I got the light strips from home depot. I've got the lights on a timer as well as the mistking on another timer so the rack is fully automated. All I've got to do now is feed and pull tads and eggs :cool:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I love this. I tell everyone that if you plan ahead, you can fit a good amount of tanks onto these 4" racks. The strip lights are great for lighting and if you need more, buy another for $20.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yea I got the light strips from home depot. I've got the lights on a timer as well as the mistking on another timer so the rack is fully automated. All I've got to do now is feed and pull tads and eggs :cool:
Yeah mine is completely automated as well (lights and mistking) I'm only home on the weekend and it goes all week with no issues.

Len

1 - 15 of 15 Posts