Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you generalize that a fatter frog is female and a more slender one is a male? In my group of terribilis that I got from Kevin Hoff that are about 6 months old, I have 3 that are chubby suckers and the other two are thin. They're not unhealthy/sick thin but just more slender than the others. Can I be right in assuming that they are males and the other 3 are females?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have nine between the ages of 3 and 9 months old at various sizes and color variations. Ive been told from the breeder that usually the females will be larger(but not always) when the frogs reach sexual maturity which i believe is 12-18 mnths but the truest method would be to observe them and document any seen calling .My oldest ones are not calling yet , just eating like they are starved , lol . :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sexing terribilis can be very hard.
Size is one way, but not very accurate and this is only good, if they are mature. Terribilis mature at 18-24 months (I have heard of sooner, but for most people it takes longer). Both males and females call in this species so that doesn't help as much. A calling male will develop a darker throat, but they have to be calling for a while too.

edit: changed months to 24 was 42

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have also heard a way of sexing them by the black tear drop that they have or lack by their eyes?! I don't remember what way it went, but females had it or had larger ones and males didn't or vise versa. Any truth behind that?

-Shelley

1 - 4 of 4 Posts