Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank is coming together nicely. 32x20x20 so ~55 gal tank. Im doing a greatstuff foam backround on it and needed some assistance. what is the easiest way to put the backround in. Would i be better off doing the entire thing inside the tank right on the acrylic, or would i be able to do it outside with some type of backround and then insert it in later?

·
Registered
387 Posts
GS doesnt really stick to glass and probably not acrylic either? The best bet is to silicone some egg crate onto the back and then putting the GS directly on it.

Even if you make a mistake and get some in a place you dont want you can easily remove it with a razor...though idk about using a razor on acrylic?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah ill test it with the great stuff, and for acrylic and silicone, your correct. it bonds about as good as two different species of darts.(awful joke but had to say it) between the soil and stuff with a bit of silicone to attempt to hold it in it should stay, the darts are going to be that destructive haha more or less the fact that the egg crate is hard to find. and expensive. was just looking at alternative options.

·
Registered
56 Posts
GS will stick to acrylic just fine. Lay the background flat and spray it right on. Let it dry up to 24 hrs then silicone it. Careful of what expansion type you are using, the maximum type with at least double. Also remember it will level out like a liquid so you may want a small layer first, then add on features for bulges, creases etc so it looks natural.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GS will stick to acrylic just fine. Lay the background flat and spray it right on. Let it dry up to 24 hrs then silicone it. Careful of what expansion type you are using, the maximum type with at least double. Also remember it will level out like a liquid so you may want a small layer first, then add on features for bulges, creases etc so it looks natural.
oh trust me im no stranger to GS. i built a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft cage and 3 of the walls are all GS and silicone lol It was just a matter of knowing if it sticks to acrylic without opening a can now, im not sure when im going to start foaming and dont want to waste a can

·
Registered
147 Posts
GS pond & stone .... much more adhesive and it is black instead of yellow as well as dries in 8 houers instead of 24, o and its meant for water not insulation ;) just a tip ..good luck

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GS pond & stone .... much more adhesive and it is black instead of yellow as well as dries in 8 houers instead of 24, o and its meant for water not insulation ;) just a tip ..good luck
but soooo much more expensive... i honestly think they just died it black, slapped a new label on it, and raised the price. its about $8.00 a can for that and only $2.57 for the yellow. and besides itll all be covered in silicone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts