Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i made my first 10 gallon vert with the gs foam , silicone and coco mix(first time)now i planted some plant in it but will have more. but the silicone is showing through.Every time i mist the tank, it seems this happens.Is the foam hangdle misting and do I have to break down the tank before any frogs?:confused:Any advice on what to do or what to do on future tanks. thanks

this plant broke when i moved it. hope it will survive

·
Registered
835 Posts
The four critical issues when doing a background with GS are:

1) Roughing the shiny surface of GS once it is dry. Most people actually remove/peel the skin. This gives the silicone better adhesion.

2) Silicone must be good and thick when you coat the GS background.

3) Your substrate used for backing must be bone dry. It should be so dry that it is dusty.

4) Physically press and mash substrate on to background.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Try gorilla glue next time. The clear amber looking kind not the elmers glue looking one. I did one tank with silicone never tried again.

Reactions: Zoomie

·
Registered
151 Posts
You can add food coloring to the gorilla glue to darken it, i use black, as long as it is not submerged it will not leach out, its worked great for me, mix the food coloring in a cup with the gorilla glue and apply and then throw coconut husk fine grade on it and press in, while wearing a disposable glove (as the gorilla glue takes over a week to come off your hands), put it on thick as it does have a tendency to peel off the glass if too thin

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The four critical issues when doing a background with GS are:

1) Roughing the shiny surface of GS once it is dry. Most people actually remove/peel the skin. This gives the silicone better adhesion.

2) Silicone must be good and thick when you coat the GS background.

3) Your substrate used for backing must be bone dry. It should be so dry that it is dusty.

4) Physically press and mash substrate on to background.

I did not know this . This will help future projects.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can add food coloring to the gorilla glue to darken it, i use black, as long as it is not submerged it will not leach out, its worked great for me, mix the food coloring in a cup with the gorilla glue and apply and then throw coconut husk fine grade on it and press in, while wearing a disposable glove (as the gorilla glue takes over a week to come off your hands), put it on thick as it does have a tendency to peel off the glass if too thin
this sounds great.

·
Banned
503 Posts
I wouldn't worry about your current issue because most silicones are non-toxic.

Now about gorilla glue. Personally i've never attached it to Great stuff, but you don't need to use Great Stuff. If you mix peat with the glue, then put the glue all over the glass, take a mister, and mist it like CRAZY! It will expand like great stuff and lasts FOREVER, and it's rock hard. Just remember to mist it A LOT, or else it won't expand a lot. I misted the whole background for 15 minutes and it only expanded 3 inches.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wouldn't worry about your current issue because most silicones are non-toxic.

Now about gorilla glue. Personally i've never attached it to Great stuff, but you don't need to use Great Stuff. If you mix peat with the glue, then put the glue all over the glass, take a mister, and mist it like CRAZY! It will expand like great stuff and lasts FOREVER, and it's rock hard. Just remember to mist it A LOT, or else it won't expand a lot. I misted the whole background for 15 minutes and it only expanded 3 inches.
wow thats sounds amazing. I will have to try that. thankyou.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can some one please tell me is it suppost to have a mildew smell or its just doesnt smell right to me but not sure what it suppose to smell like since it my first time doinmg a gs backround

1 - 20 of 77 Posts