Dendroboard banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there is some sort of a grub in my Manzanita wood. I have had the wood in the tank for about 7 months or so and this grub just showed up last night.

The whole is about 1/4 an inch across and the grub is actively excavating.

Ignore the water. I put it in the whole to see what the grub would do.

What to do now?

My original thought is to use a nail or something to kill the gub and then fill the hole.

I really dont wanna take the wood out of the tank because it is the main piece in there and the broms have really grown a lot of it recently.

*If i can get a pic of the actually grub I will update this thread.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so as long as i get it out I have no worries? (unless of course there are more)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I cut the wood a little and I was able to get out the lil bastard.

I was expecting a worm of some sort but I was def wrong.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
anyone have any idea how to get this guy identified

I am really curious now

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I had the same thing happen. I kept seeing wood dust on the leaves in my tank and a perfectly round hole in the wood. I bought the wood at a reptile show last fall.

Today I looked in the tank and there were two of those sitting in the tank. You can't identify them by mine anymore. I dropped them on the floor and gave them a quick "tap" with the bottom of my shoe.

I think they might have been a little "crunchy" even for my mints.

Ewww.

Deb

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
With a quick search, it looks like it might be a powder post beetle.

Deb

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
looks very similar except for the mandibles on the front which the powder post beetle seems to be lacking

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
looks very similar except for the mandibles on the front which the powder post beetle seems to be lacking
There are many species of powder post beetle and the one in the link I sent also appears smaller that the one in your photo. It could be an exotic species, but the fact that it lives in holes in the wood certainly narrows it down.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts