Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear I've almost asked all the questions that I possible could but I've got another for you all.

I'm about to start attaching the first bit of ghostwood to my background but I have a problem. There's a plastic support beam that runs front to back in the center of my tank to help support the glass top.

If I foam in my ghostwood the way I want it, I won't be able to fit the eggrate around the wood.

So my question is......Is it possible to have my floor in the tank before I make the walls and background? The only reason I could think of not to do it is that the excess coco fiber will all need to be cleaned out. I was thinking I could tape some plastic down though to cover the bottom.

As always, your help is most appreciated

-Dave

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I think I know what kind of center brace you mentioned, and it's not really there to support the glass top. It is there more to brace the walls of the tank when filled with water. They can be removed with a hacksaw...as long as you dont plan on filling it with water.

G

·
0 Posts
Agrred, the plastic support is there to suport the weight of the water not the top. HAck it off. Have fun doing it i always enjoy demo work.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have always put the false bottom in the tank before I start in with the foam background. It is much easier to have it done and taken care of before hand.

I agree that you don't really need the suport beam for a viv. That is only to hold the aquarium together when it is full of water. MAinly used in tanks bigger than fourty gallons....

Good Luck!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I believe my tank has one of those. I always thought it was a divider for the two light hoods that came with the tank. I put my eggcrate down first, and some cocofiber got into the bottom, but as long as you cover the eggcrate in screen first, you should be fine.
-Beeswaxx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts