Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was considering buying some pieces of wood and carving them into the shape of branches for my paludarium. I wanted to use live plants (preferably Croton), and have them growing out of the wood to simulate leaves of a tree. The way I would go about this is by cutting holes into the wood and filling those holes with soil or some other medium for the roots, and planting my cuttings into these holes as if they are pots. I would leave the cuttings in the enclosure until they start to get too big, and them replace them with smaller cuttings.
I opted to go with Croton, because the large broad leaves look as if they could support the weight of my Cuban tree frogs. I can't plant them on the bottom of the tank however, because I am going with a flooded amazon forest look, and the bottom of the tank is going to be home to a sparkling gourami.
I'm curious to hear if anyone else has done something like this before, and wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on how I might get it to work properly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I'll reconsider the croton. For drainage holes I would most likely try to hide them on the other side of the branch. I would also have moss growing over these holes. I'm sure they would enjoy the slow trickle of moisture.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts