Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching this but it was really hard to narrow down what i was looking for. Anyway, Im just wondering how everyone grows their pups once they rip them off the bromeliad. I have a few pups but i dont know how to properly grow them. I have them planted in a cup of peat moss but i dont think that this is the correct way since they have not been growing, but havent been dieing either. Should i just wrap some wet sphagnum moss around the stem so that roots will develop? Just need a few pointers. thanks

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
'rip' sounds a little harsh,poor brom:p,just kidding i usually mount them on a piece of cork or put them in another viv,sphagnum seems a maybe a little too wet,try putting them in orchid bark

·
Registered
185 Posts
I dont do anything different? Should I be? LOL I mount them in the tank as if they were full grown.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It depends on the bromeliad, but I generally let them dry a bit between waterings, but keep the humidity high until it develops roots. Though I also usually like to leave them attached to the parent plant until they are at least 50% its size.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I think for most bromeliads there isn't really a wrong way to do it. They root very easily. If I stick pups in my brom mix today (which I was doing all day...) they will be rooting within a couple weeks and will be very well rooted in a month or two. They take a little longer to establish on mounts, it goes quicker if you attach them securely. If they wobble on the mount they might never root into it.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I would water them when the mix dries out to the touch (on top). I don't think every couple days gives them enough time to dry out. Don't just keep them soaked in water, they will rot before they root.

·
Banned
503 Posts
You got it. Wrap spagnum around it and stuck them to what ever you want. It'll attack, but to start use fishing line. Then they'll grow. Allmost no broms grow in pots, they will die.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I have mounted all of mine (all neos) without roots. I leave enough of the stem to press into the background or I zip tie it to a piece of wood or rock, etc. In the viv, if you keep the axials filled with water, they'll sprout roots in less than two weeks.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
You got it. Wrap spagnum around it and stuck them to what ever you want. It'll attack, but to start use fishing line. Then they'll grow. Allmost no broms grow in pots, they will die.
this isnt really true, wrapping the brom in LFS will only aid in rotting IMO. it holds too much water. what you have to remember is that the "roots" arent roots in the traditional sense. they are almost solely for the plant to hold on with.

on a separate note:without exception every commercial bromeliad grower in ive even seen, grows their broms in pots. they may later be attached to something to highlight their epiphytic nature, but they ARE grown in pots. i would venture to guess that the overwhelming majority of broms (not wild ones) in the US are growing in pots, so not only is it possible, it could be argued that its the most common and effective method.

james

1 - 12 of 12 Posts