Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m building out my first viviarium, and am planning on an eventual pair of tincs. I haven’t landed on a specific morph yet, but am leaning towards Venessa. In order to get a pair I’m planning to go with the “buy as many froglets as you can afford and hope you end up with a pair” method. And so, I’m thinking 5-6 froglets, then will separate and sell off the extras after I hopefully end up with a pair as they grow.

I’m familiar with the ziploc/Rubbermaid tub-style grow-out tanks commonly discussed here, but I’d really like to use a clear (e.g., glass) container since they’ll be in my office next to my desk. I searched and searched but couldn’t really find an answer to this question; what size grow-out tank should I plan on using for a group of 5-6 tinc froglets? Is a 10g too small, or a 12x12x18 exo-terra?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I would go with the 10 gallon. 20" x 10" is way more space than 12 x 12. A 10 gallon tank is the choice grow out tank for many breeders. 5 or 6 should be fine in there as long as you get them out well before sexual maturity. I grew all the froglets I produced, in 10 gallon tanks. Keep it simple, as it won't be around long. Spend you money on your display viv. Substrate, leaf litter, and perhaps a simple pothos plant. Get some big leaves in there to provide good cover. Magnolia and sea grape are great larger leaves.

Reactions: Caietaro

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That makes sense, thank you! From what I’ve read, it seems like I should in theory be able to sex tincs around 10-12 months old, and they reach sexual maturity around 12-18 months - is that right? If so, I’ll go the 10g route and can always set up another 10g easily enough if they need more space before I can reliably sex them.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
That makes sense, thank you! From what I’ve read, it seems like I should in theory be able to sex tincs around 10-12 months old, and they reach sexual maturity around 12-18 months - is that right? If so, I’ll go the 10g route and can always set up another 10g easily enough if they need more space before I can reliably sex them.
You are right for tincs on your timeframe for sexual maturity and being able to identify their sex as well.

And I was going to add what you just said, if you observe stress, aggression, or weight loss you should split them up into more tanks. I suspect you will need to do this based off my experience. Once they get a certain size, 10 gallons will be cramped and some may begin to stress.

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
I agree. I like to be able to see my animals, this includes walk bys.

Tupperware tubs with drilled holes, with animals at a most crucial stage of development, its utterly confounding to me that air exchange is placed at such a low priority of husbandry value. As if Oxygen is not a crucial resource in closed situ.

In 35+ years I have never had to restrict ventilation to achieve enough humiidity for my charges. I just dont get it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree. I like to be able to see my animals, this includes walk bys.

Tupperware tubs with drilled holes, with animals at a most crucial stage of development, its utterly confounding to me that air exchange is placed at such a low priority of husbandry value. As if Oxygen is not a crucial resource in closed situ.

In 35+ years I have never had to restrict ventilation to achieve enough humiidity for my charges. I just dont get it.

Exactly - since this is new to me, I especially want to be able to watch them throughout the day to be able to better spot anything that might seem off early on.

I figure if I have trouble keeping humidity up I can install my mistking into the top of the tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts