Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what if packed in some t 12 grow lights(aka fullspectrum) over my 55 gallon? would that be sufficient lighting?
I already have two t12 ones a actinic the other is 50/50 both 30 watts i think and i have one more spot for another 30 watt t12 then i will start buying other supplie. what do you think?

·
Registered
428 Posts
The first thing you need to do is replace both the actinic and 50/50 lighing with some new bulbs of the proper spectrum. Look for bulbs in the range of 5500K to 6700K.

Secondly, even three 30 watt bulbs of the proper spectrum are only going to support very low light plants. If you don't already have the third light, I would go ahead a use a compact fluorescent in that space.

Tim

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the actinic will boost plant growth due to the bluer apectrum and the ability to travel greater wavelengths which is beneficial.

Why would u want 5500-6500 lights?
You want like 10000 20000 to get good growth.

Then agian all this knowledge is based on photosynthetic corals since i have a reef :D

·
Registered
707 Posts
Why would u want 5500-6500 lights?
You want like 10000 20000 to get good growth.
There might be some confusion about lumens, wattage, and color temp. 5500k to 6700k is a reference to the color temperature. This range is usually desribed as "full spectrum" lighting since it is closer to the color of the noon sun on a clear day than a warmer (like a candle) light. See this site for more information -- http://www.ephotozine.com/techniques/vi ... ?recid=259.

The other variable to consider which I haven't seen any conclusive data (mostly anectdotal) is the role of UVA and UVB on dart frogs general health and calcium deficiency. Some full spectrum lights have UVA/UVB, some don't. Each of them starts to degrade and put out less and less UVA/UVB through the life of the bulb.

Marcos

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So is actinic good or bad?
Will full spectrum bulbs from hardwarestores be effective what about this

Price: $24.95

Description

Item Code: 11-54026

* Coralife 10,000K bulbs are crisp white when compared to other 10,000K bulbs. If you are going for a "brighter" bulb, then go with this one.
* The special rare earth color enhancing phosphors blended in the 10,000K lamp generates a light that simulates the midday tropical sun.
* This high-intensity purified super-daylight lamp casts a sparkling blue-white daylight, with a very high lumen-per-watt output.
* 95W Very High Output (VHO) bulb.
* T12 1.5" diameter bulb (standard shop lights are T12).
* Note: On a rare occasion, bulbs are shipped to us without their outer bulb sleeve. If you must have the factory sleeve with the bulb, please note it in the "Comments" section on page 2 of the order check out. This may delay your order if we're out of bulbs with sleeves. Remember, MOST of our orders are shipped WITH sleeves. Thank you for understanding.

FAQ:
Q. What is the difference between 6,500K, 10,000K and 20,000K bulbs?
A. 6,500K appear to be a bit dimmer to the eye to us. 10,000K appear to be the best looking "crisp white", and 20,000K appear to be blue/white light. Natural yellowish sunlight is about 5,500K. The higher you go in the color temp "K", the more blue a light will appear.

ORRRRRR
what about this
Item Code: 14-AF111

* Coralife 10,000K bulbs are crisp white when compared to other 10,000K bulbs. If you are going for a "brighter" bulb, then go with this one.
* The special rare earth color enhancing phosphors blended in the 10,000K lamp generates a light that simulates the midday tropical sun.
* This high-intensity purified super-daylight lamp casts a sparkling blue-white daylight, with a very high lumen-per-watt output.
* 30W Normal Output (NO) bulb.
* Note: On a rare occasion, bulbs are shipped to us without their outer bulb sleeve. If you must have the factory sleeve with the bulb, please note it in the "Comments" section on page 2 of the order check out. This may delay your order if we're out of bulbs with sleeves. Remember, MOST of our orders are shipped WITH sleeves. Thank you for understanding.

FAQ:
A. 6,500K appear to be a bit dimmer to the eye to us. 10,000K appear to be the best looking "crisp white", and 20,000K appear to be blue/white light. Natural yellowish sunlight is about 5,500K. The higher you go in the color temp "K", the more blue a light will appear.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
booboo said:
So is actinic good or bad?
Will full spectrum bulbs from hardwarestores be effective what about this
* 95W Very High Output (VHO) bulb.

FAQ:

ORRRRRR
what about this
Item Code: 14-AF111

* 30W Normal Output (NO) bulb.
I think there is allot of marketing hype in here. The color temperature is based on the color that a piece of platinum glows when heated to a given temperature. That is it. As was already stated, noonday tropical full sun is about the same color as a piece of platinum heated to 5500K so a 5500K bulb simulates full sun quite nicely. Full sun filtered through a forest canopy will shift a little to the blue so 6500K is not an unreasonable approximation. A 10000K may LOOK brighter (and I notice they always put brighter in quotes), but that doesn't mean it IS brighter. For the most part, the choice of color temp is aesthetic. If you like 10000K, 20000K, or even actinic, you will still be providing light the plants can use for photosynthesis. But most people seem to like the look of 5500-6700K bulbs. As long as you aren't giving your plants green light, you are probably going to be fine.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok i have a 96 watt powerquad over my nano reef, soooo what if i upgraded my nano with a 70 watt mh and moved the 96pc to my 55?

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Take a look around for at bulb specs...I wouldn't consider switching from a 96 quad to a 70 watt halide to be an upgrade. I have a 70w halide (6500K Iwasaki) over my Phelsuma terrarium, and it looks to me that the 65w six tube CF's that I have put out more light, and I think I have seen specs to back that up as well.

If you were going to buy new lights, I would go with a 54x2 T-5 retrofit, I bought one of these and one tube lights a row of vert tens just great.
a 55X2 PC would be close to the same amount of light, but the bulbs are more expensive.

You could always try the lights you have, and upgrade later, if you don't like the results.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont think you understood me. I would put a 70 watt metal halide over my nano reef, and put the 96 watt pc over my vivarium.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I think that would be very good lighting.

Luke

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
booboo said:
I dont think you understood me. I would put a 70 watt metal halide over my nano reef, and put the 96 watt pc over my vivarium.
...Yeah, I got that. It sounded to me like you were calling it an upgrade to the nano-reef. Actually the halide may look better on the reef, with the shimmer lines and what not, but I'm still pretty sure the 96 quad will produce much more light than the 70 w halide.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dancing frogs you are totaly right :D and totaly wrong :x .

You are right for certain corals a 70 watt mh would make them shrivel and die (Shrooms rics etc)

BUT it would enchance colors and allow for more light demanding species like stonies and clams and i want more stonies so it should work out.

Thaks for all the help though i appreciate it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts