Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used tile grout for landscaping or creating rocks out of? I know its used for bearded dragon backgrounds, but considering they require low humid environment, i dont know how it will hold up in dart terrariums.. nor do i know any toxicity issues.

My original plans was to use the triple expanding foam for the background base, and the grout (black or brown colour) or for cover.

Thanks for any responses.
M.N

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you mean abrasive as in rough/sharp? If so, the sponge technique would make it smooth to the touch. In my eyes, I view this would be a great alternative to backgrounds, and cheap too...

Any other opinions?
M.N

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I would expect that this grout would hold up well in high humidity environments if it's made for landscaping and building manmade rocks. I would avoid tile grout though, as most of bathroom grout has fungicide in it.

G

·
grout

Most grout is very rough and abrasive. Even if you smoothed it out, and it looked smooth to you, it would still likely damage delicate frog skin. Remember that even your fingerprints are rough enough to damage a frog's skin.

G

·
Hey again,

There are two types of grout, in general. One is sanded, and when it hardens it is very much like sandpaper. The other is non-sanded. The non-sanded is smoother but it contains dyes and addatives that I would not trust. Non-sanded is essentialy a thick paint that hardens very riggid. An other reason why I would shy away from grout is that is does not like flexing or water. When you finnish grouting a floor, after curring, you should seal it to protect it. When a tank's light system turns off or on,the temp changes and humidity changes causing contraction or expansion. There are some good alternatives to grout. One is 100% silicone, it comes in tons of colors, not that expensive, good worry free fun.

J105

1 - 6 of 6 Posts