Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love a list of frogs, including full scientific names, of species that do well in groups. I have a 29 gallon tank that needs some love and I would like to keep 3-4 of a species in it. Im just not sure where to start. Pics are appreciated!

(feel free to post links to existing lists on this board or the web)

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Dendrobates leucomelas, auratus, Ranitomeya ventrimaculata, Phyllobates terribilis, bicolor, aurotaenia, vittatus to name a few of the easier ones.
Good luck,
Bryan

·
Registered
264 Posts
Leucomelas and auratus can do well in groups. I currently have 3 females and 2 males costa rican auratus in a 60 gallon long.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry to but in but i was wonding if tinctorius do well in groups? I have a 44 gallon pentagon and I would like a group of frogs.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
People have reported success with tincs in groups in larger vivariums. More commonly, though, females in the same enclosure do not play nice. I have a 36g bowfront tank that has been housing 2.1 tincs for a few years now. If I'm not mistaken though, aren't the pentagons high, but offer little relative floor space? If so, that's not so good for a terrestrial frog like a tinc.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
People have reported success with tincs in groups in larger vivariums. More commonly, though, females in the same enclosure do not play nice. I have a 36g bowfront tank that has been housing 2.1 tincs for a few years now. If I'm not mistaken though, aren't the pentagons high, but offer little relative floor space? If so, that's not so good for a terrestrial frog like a tinc.
I agree. Tincs really are typically a pair-only frog, sometimes a 2.1 trio (two males, one female). It seems if you raise them up from a young age together, they are sometimes more tolerant of each other as adults. However, if you just buy adults or sub-adults and put together a group, expect some problems. Female-female aggression can be very dangerous, and male-male aggression, while sometimes working out, can also be deadly and stressful.
As a side note, I just wanted to point out that there are some "better" group frogs than others. For example, leucs and auratus, while both great frogs and able to be kept in groups, will often show female-female aggression and egg-eating. There usually aren't any problems because of this- it's not as severe as with other frogs (like tincs)- but it can happen so you do still have to make sure all of the frogs stay healthy and get enough food.
Bryan

·
Registered
11 Posts
ok thank you for the replies. I will definately not get tincts then because I want to have more than 2 as it is a large tank. As for the low surfac area of the tall tank I kind of made shelves and terraced the tank so there is lots of ground in it.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
ok thank you for the replies. I will definately not get tincts then because I want to have more than 2 as it is a large tank. As for the low surfac area of the tall tank I kind of made shelves and terraced the tank so there is lots of ground in it.
Most of the really terrestrial frogs (especially the phyllobates) usually won't climb up to the higher levels, even if there is some space up there.

Leucs, vents, & variabilis would probably be your better choices for a tank set up like that....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts