Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some good ground cover plants/mosses? Leaf litter looks nice but some green on the ground would look nice too. I recently took my first step into the dartside of the frog world and have to learn more about dart plants.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I like Peperomias. The thick dark green leaves can be quite big and stay fairly close to the ground as long as they don't get too much light. The ability to survive in low-light conditions, the general hardiness and the extra cover they provide the frogs (since they can hide underneath the leaves) make them ideal, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Here is a list i'd recommend:

Pilea nummularifolia - this will actually creep along the floor
Peperomia caperata - the smaller silver version makes a nice short bushy plant
Peperomia glabella - this doubles as a nice background replacement for Ficus pumila
Any jewel orchid, I use ludisia discolor
smaller begonia's can fill in the ground level nicely - B. luzoensis, and other smaller ones make nice short bushy plants
Selaginella uncinata, serpens - very nice creepers, serpens can be a bit harder to find.

Ed Parker

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I'm talking about! Floor creepers and such. Thank you guys so much

·
Registered
150 Posts
Aeschynanthus has a few nice creeping plants as well, which climb along walls and such. They're easier to control than Ficus pumila and the likes, and some species have beautiful dark green leaves with almost flourescent-looking veins. A very underappreciated plant IMO, I bought one cheap in a supermarket years ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts